SCIENCE 1101: SCIENCE, SOCIETY and the ENVIRONMENT I Lecture 2 The world is understandable. Scientific ideas are subject to change. Scientific knowledge is durable. Scientists cannot answer ALL questions. Science does not make moral or ethical judgments 6. Scientists try to avoid bias.
7. Validation of science is important
8.Most of science deals with quantifiable (measurable) data
9. Science is different from Technology
Example: Which statement is potentially testable?
1. Societal Bias: Societal pressures affect how science is conducted.
2. How studies are conducted:
3. What research gets funded: Based on societal emphasis.
4. Funding Pressures: The funding organization of a research project has a vested interest in certain results.