1. North and South Write On
3. In this activity you will: In this lesson you will learn to recognize military and nonmilitary leaders from the North and South during the Civil War.
You will write a paragraph about one of the leaders and give 3 details about that person.
4. Abraham Lincoln
5. Abraham Lincoln
6. Frederick Douglas Douglas freed himself from slavery and through decades of tireless efforts he helped to free millions more.
7. Frederick Douglas He helped recruit African American troops for the Union Army, and his personal relationship with Lincoln helped persuade the President to make emancipation a cause of the Civil War.
8. Clara Barton
9. Clara Barton
10. Clara Barton
11. Ulysses S. Grant
12. Ulysses S. Grant
13. Robert E. Lee
14. Robert E. Lee
15. Robert E. Lee
16. Jefferson Davis As a senator he often stated his support of slavery and of states' rights, and as a cabinet member he influenced Pierce to sign the Kansas-Nebraska Act, which favored the South and increased the bitterness of the struggle over slavery.
17. Jefferson Davis On February 18, 1861, the provisional Congress of the Confederate States made him provisional president. His zeal, energy, and faith in the cause of the South were a source of much of the tenacity with which the Confederacy fought the Civil War.
19. Three Confederate prisoners at Gettysburg
21. Writing Activity Write about one of the leaders from the Civil War and include 3 details about that person.