Loading in 2 Seconds...
Loading in 2 Seconds...
THE ROLE OF RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT IN THE INDUSTRIALIZATION PROCESS IN KENYA Moturi C. and Ogada T. Kenya Industrial Research and Development Institute (KIRDI) Technical workshop on Industrialization 22 nd November 2006, KICC, Nairobi CONTENTS Background Background
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Moturi C. and Ogada T.
Kenya Industrial Research and Development Institute (KIRDI)
Technical workshop on Industrialization
22nd November 2006, KICC, Nairobi
MSEs (65%)Schematic Diagram illustrating the Missing Gap in the MSE Growth
There are 4-broad means of acquiring technology, i.e.;
Direct foreign investment
Purchasing or leasing “off-the-shelf”, and
Overseas training and study tours
Accessing patent documents in the public domain
The direct product of research is knowledge.
It can be in the form of
It is only through transfer of knowledge that a R&D Institution can become relevant to the society
There are two types of Assets
Old EconomyNew Economy
Tangible property Intangible Property
There are Four Methods through which an Intellectual Property Assets can be commercialized
The contribution of R&D Institutions towards a country’s development can be measured through quantity of
Thailand 139 (granted)
Year No of Technologies Income from TT (KWon)
National University of Singapore and Nanyan Technological University
Objectives and Strategies
2. To formulate national industrial research programs
3. To Establish a National Industrial Research Fund
1. Promote the generation, protection and utilization of intellectual property assets in STI organizations and SMEs
4. Promote commercialization of innovations and R&D outputs
5. Promote technology development through reverse engineering
6. Review and develop technology transfer policy
7. Formulate appropriate laws and regulations to back the policy
8. Promote entrepreneurial culture in STI activities
9. Promote technology culture among Kenyans
10. Strengthen linkages between STI organizations and industries
11. Promote the use of TK and local resources
12. Promote networking and collaboration amongst STI organizations
13. Strengthen marketing practices in STI organizations and industries
Technology identification, sourcing, Negotiation and Technology acquisition