外研版 高中英语 第一册 Module 6 The Internet and Telecommunications
Warming up by a discussion 1)What are the advantages of surfing the Internet? 2)What are the disadvantages? 3)What is the attitude of your school and parents to the use of the Internet?
Learn the following compound words: 1. keyboard 2. website 3. credit card 4. online 5. download 6. software 7. hard disk
Try to explain the following words in English: 1. modem: A modem is a piece of equipment that connects a computer to a telephone line. 调制解调器
2. mouse: A mouse allows you to move a cursor around a computer screen and do things without using the keyboard. 鼠标
3. online: You are online when you are connected to the Internet. 在线的，联网的，联机的
4. log on: You log on when you start using a computer system by typing your personal password. 登录，注册
A email is a message sent between computer. 5. email: 电子邮件
When you download data, you transfer it from the Internet onto your computer. 6. download: 下载
Software are programmes used by computers for doing specific jobs. 7. software: 软件
A credit card is a plastic card card you can use to pay for things. 8. credit card: 信用卡
(compact disc read-only memory) A CD-ROM is a disk which stores information for use by computer. 9. CD-ROM: 只读光盘存储器
A monitor is a computer screen. 10. monitor: 显示屏，显示器
11. text message: A text message is a written message you can send with a mobile phone. 文本信息
Discuss: What can we do using a computer? 1. use a computer for school work
2. Play games on the computer 3. Send emails to friends 4. download music and films
5. Surf the web for fun 6. Take part in chat groups 7. use the Internet to research information for school tasks
8. buy things on line 9. Look at photographs on the computer
10. Use a CD-ROM encyclopaedia and atlas 11.Read news both at home and abroad, read books and magazines
Important phrases: 1.consist of 2.as well 3.become known as 4.go down 由……组成 也 作为……而出名 下降
5. Come up with 6.from that moment on 7.concentrate on 8.compared with 提出 从那时起 聚精会神 与……相比
Fast reading for the general idea, please choose the best summary of the text.
A. It mainly tells us the invention and development of the internet. B. It mainly tells us the invention and development of the World Wide Web. C. It mainly tells us who invented the internet and the World Wide Wed. D. It mainly tells us the invention and development of the World Wide Web and the internet. D.
Detailed reading for information, and decide if these sentences are true (T) or false (F).
1. There are millions of pages of information on the Internet. 2. The US army were the first people who used an Internet system. 3. Universities started using the Internet at the same time as the army. T T F
4. The percentage of websites in English is getting smaller. 5. Tim Berners-Lee made it possible for scientists to use the Internet. 6. He has made a lot of money from his invention. F F T
Write down the following words ,the first letter of each word has been given: To look at different websites on the Internet. 1. s_____ (surf)
2. c_____ 3. s_____ (crash) A computer breakdown (store) Save information on your computer.
Read the following sentences and pay attention to the numbers and percentage . 1. About 80 percent of web traffic is in English.
2. Two percent of the total population of China have access to the Internet, compared with 45 percent in the USA and 15 percent in Japan.
3. The average time the Chinese people spend online is 17 hours per week. 4.But this percentage is going down.
5.In 5 years, the number of Internet users rose from 600,000 to 40 million. 6..In China, the number of Internet users was 55 million in 2002, which rose to 125 million in 2003.
1.Try to repeat the text orally. 2.Learn the new words again using the dictionary if necessary. Homework