Tracker FED. Questionnaire Response Production Status Plans for 904 Plans for USC. Questionnaire Response. 1. We already have FULL populated FED crates in 904 lab. Max of 16 x 9U FEDs in crate with associated 6U Transition cards to carry the CMCs.
1. We already have FULL populated FED crates in 904 lab. Max of 16 x 9U FEDs in crate with associated 6U Transition cards to carry the CMCs.
There are 40 FEDs and 35 Transition cards at CERN.
2. The final system has 36 crates containing a total of ~450 FEDs.
We expect to deliver FEDs to CERN at about 50 per month. We have delivered 40 so far.
I believe we have up to 12 crates installed in 904 open area for FEDs.
3. All 36 crates in USC won't be populated before Nov 06. FEDs should be there but depends on Tracker Integration needs.
4. We do have fake data/pattern generation facilities inside our FED.
5. The first ~150+ FEDs will be re-tested at B904 before being taken for the surface Tracker Integration in B186.
Remaining will be re-tested at 904 and then direct to USC.
We should have enough FEDs to start populating crates in USC start of Q2/06.
6. We should be ready to start integration at USC during Q2/06.
On our side the minimum equipment we would require to send "fake" data would be ; Crates, cooling, CAEN controllers, TTC system.
Assuming DAQ has provided FRLs, FMMs and associated cabling.
But as you say difficult to give precise answers without more realistic installation planning.
Our intention was to install FEDs in USC before the Tracker optical cabling is in place.
Much depends on the Tracker Integration demands.
A Question for you... When will the production Transmitter CMCs be available in quantities ?
Ideally we would test the unit "FED + Transtion card + CMC" with FRL readout. Then keep that unit together for installing at USC.
We are naturally rather anxious to test FEDs with production electronics of Trigger and DAQ systems including final FRLs and FMMs.
Almost all tests so far have been with emulations of other systems.
Particularly the merging to FRLs which I don't believe was thoroughly done?
Total of 450 (+50 spare) x (9U FEDs + 6U Transition cards)
Housed in 36 crates in USC
0. Quality Controls
1. Custom Tests at
BScan, VME crate
2. Tests at RAL
Optical, Full crate
3. Tests at CERN
Rear Transition card
4. Installation at CMS
“Pipeline” with each stage taking ~ 1 month and containing 50 FEDs
Access VME with SBS620 PCI-VME link
VME crate PC
Simulate Local Trigger Control System
Merge 96 fibres into 8 ribbons of 12 fibres
Throttle signals from FED to FT
Clock & L1As from FT to FED
Slink PC (PCI-X slots)
Generic PCI Card
DAQ – Slink Transmitter
Slink data and control signals
Throttle signals to Fast Merge Module (FMM)