Cognition 7A – Memory 7B – Thinking, Problems Solving, Creativity, and Language. Memory. Memory - the persistence of learning over time through the storage and retrieval of information. Examples:. The Memory Process. Three step process….
7A – Memory
7B – Thinking, Problems Solving, Creativity, and Language
Memory - the persistence of learning over time through the storage and retrieval of information.
Three step process….
Short Term Memory Activity
Modified Three-stage Model of Memory
2 Types of Encoding
Automatic Processing - unconscious encoding of incidental information
2. Acoustic Encoding: the encoding of sound, especially the sounds of words.
3. Semantic Encoding: the encoding of meaning.
2. Method of Loci – use visual information with familiar objects on a path to recall info on a list
3. Hierarchies – broad concepts divided and subdivided into narrower concepts and facts
4. Chunking- Organizing items into familiar, manageable units (acronyms)
Every Good Boy Does Fine
Types of Memory
Types of Long-Term Memory
Memory trace – memory is distributed across groups of neurons
Long Term-Potentiation – Increases in synaptic firing potential of a neuron by increasing the number of receptors on the receiving neuron.
Recognition - you must identify the target from possible targets
What should you do to prevent an encoding failure?
Apply the Ebbinghaus curve to Psych Class