The Café Book Literacy Café Menu C-Comprehension A-Accuracy F-Fluency E-Expanded Vocabulary. The Daily Five. reading to self reading to someone word work listening to reading writing. Effective Classroom Distribution. Whole-class Small-group Side-by-side instruction.
1. Check Calendar
-(If no appointments are schedule then look at Keeping Track Form for children you haven’t meet with for a while.)
2. Prepare for Conference
-(what was the child working on between conferences.)
3. Observe Child & Listen to Reading
(Teacher goes to Student)
-use time to observe what child is doing.
4. Reinforce and Teach
- What will we teach this child?
-Focus on only one strategy so the student doesn’t become overwhelmed.
5. Practice the Strategy.
- Observe him or her practice.
- “Does the child need more time to focus on the strategy?”
- “Is the student ready to move on to another area?”
- “You’re doing so well, look at the progress you’ve made.”
■ As we read the story together, we stop to check for understanding, write a sentence about what we read.
At the end of the story, go back over sentences, get rid of any unnecessary parts and write it in paragraph form.