Why I Picked This Topic?. I don't like the fact that there is a possibility that cell phones will be banned everywhere. It places a problem for parents and places a safety hazard. . Cell Phones in School. Cell phones in a school surrounding should be allowed but to a minimum. Cell phones cause distractions and disruptions and don't allow students to focus on what is important, which is the information being taught. School disruptions can come in a number of forms. Ringing cell phones can disrupt31048
1. Elise Esposito
December 3rd 2009
2. Why I Picked This Topic? I don’t like the fact that there is a possibility that cell phones will be banned everywhere. It places a problem for parents and places a safety hazard.
3. Cell Phones in School
4. Who Agrees? In fact, our 2002 national survey of school-based police officers shows that 68% of surveyed school-based police officers from across the nation believe that student use of cell phones in school would detract from school safety in a crisis and another 10% believe they would have neither a positive or negative influence. 81% of school resource officers indicated that their schools continue to not allow students to use cell phones in school.
5. Cell Phones Can Detract From School Safety & Crisis Preparedness Cell phones have been used for calling in bomb threats to schools and, in many communities, cell calls cannot be traced by public safety officials.
Student use of cell phones could potentially detonate a real bomb if one is actually on campus.
Cell phone use by students can obstruct rumor control and, disrupt and delay effective public safety response.
Cell phone use by students can hold up public safety response by accelerating parental response to the scene of an emergency during times when officials may be attempting to evacuate students to another site.
Cell phone overload during a real major crisis (as they did during the Columbine tragedy, WTC attacks, etc.), and usage by a large number of students at once could add to the overload and knock out cell phone systems quicker than may normally occur.
6. Cell Phones Cause More Problems… Cell phones can also place an issue for students with fear, shame, and rumored violence. Rumors can be spread with just a click of a button. Especially in elementary school girls emotions change like fashion; different everyday.
7. More Problems… Spreading rumors using cell phones can decrease attendance. The issues of text messaging in particular can sometimes create more anxiety and panic more than any actual threats or incidents that may have triggered the rumors.
8. Lets Cheat! Cell phones also contribute to cheating. Many students have found ways to alert their friends of test answers through text messaging, which can be done discreetly and silently.
Many teachers use the same tests for all class periods, kids with the tests early in the day are able to record the answers and pass them along, or even charge other students, for the answers.
Cheating has become such a large threat in schools, with the expanding use of cell phones and passing information.
9. But I Put the Effort! Students, who are receiving higher grades through cheating, make it far more difficult for other students who are truly putting their best effort forth.
This makes it more difficult for the teacher to see if extra help is needed, or the material is not understood.
10. Cheating Effects Everyone!
11. How to use your Cell Phone Properly Use the phone in moderation.
Cell phones should be allowed, but kept in lockers.
School officials should maintain an sufficient number of cell phones on campus for administrators, crisis team members, and other appropriate adults.
Allow students to bring cell phones to lunch and recess, but put away during class time.
12. Are Cell Phones ALL BAD? Cell phones in schools are not all bad, If a student makes a call at lunch, in between classes, before school, or after school, or in the bathroom, then this does not distract students from class so there's no reason to not allow students to use cell phones during these times