Visualize This!. Exploring and Creating Visual Text for your Content A rea. “Images are all around us, and the ability to interpret them meaningfully is a vital skill for students to learn.”. Thibault and Walbert , Learn NC. What is Visual Literacy?.
Exploring and Creating Visual Text
for your Content Area
Thibault and Walbert, Learn NC
Visual literacy is the ability to see, to understand, and ultimately to think, create and communicate graphically.
Photographs, paintings and drawings, graphic art, films, maps, and various kinds of charts and graphs
Print and Graphic Texts
W.1 – Write arguments to support claims in an analysis for substantive topics or texts, using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence.
W.2 – Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content.
W.3 – Write narrative to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, well-chosen details, and well-structured event sequences.
W.6 – Use technology, including the internet, to produce and publish writing and to interact and collaborate with others.
Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse formats and media, including visually and quantitatively, as well as in words.Write Into The Day
Infographics make information accessible to a wide range of readers/non-readers:
1. Discuss the purpose of different types of infographics. Ask students what is the topic of a given infographic. What is the infographic’s purpose?
2. Focus on one type of infographic at a time. Ask students what the components of the infographic are? How does each component contribute to the overall purpose?
3) Have students collect and analyze different infographics from various sources. Which conveys information best? Why is one infographic better than another? Do various infographics have anything in common?
4) Co-develop a rubric of components with students.
5) Have students revise an infographic to make its more effective.
6) Start collecting a library of exemplars.
Science and Health