Ministry of Interior and Administration Department for Denominations and National and Ethnic Minorities. The Roma ethnic minority in Poland and Polish Government policy towards the Roma. Ministry of Interior and Administration Department for Denominations and National and Ethnic Minorities.
1. Situation of Roma community in Poland
2. Actions undertaken bythePolish Government relating to Roma
2.1. Programme for the Roma community in Poland
2.2. 'Roma component' HR OP
3. Team for the Roma Affairs
- 12 731 declared Roma minority membership
- 15 657 declared use of Roma language at home
(Source: National Census, 2002)
Number of Roma population in Poland
Programme for the Roma community in Poland
2001-2010 → 17 million EURO
Programme for the Roma communityin period 2004-2010
8 areasof Programme for the Roma community in Poland
2. improvement of living and social conditions,
4. prevention of unemployment,
7. increasing public awarenessof the Roma community,
8. civic education of the Roma.
*Roma education assistants and learning support teachers,
*educational programmes for the Roma parents and children including psychological and pedagogical consultancy,
*catch-up classes in various subjects,
*speech and language (pathology) therapy classes,
*holiday camps & trips,
* scholarships for students and pupils.
2. IMPROVEMENT OF LIVING AND SOCIAL CONDITIONS
* renovation of properties (flats),
* building & buying houses,
* providing connection to sewage and water supply systems.
* employment of community nurses,
* providing health checks and protective vaccinations,
* organisation of the so-called “white days”.
4. PREVENTION OF UNEMPLOYMENT
* establishing new workplaces,
*subsidising workplaces for the Roma,
* intervention work,
7. PROMOTING PUBLIC AWARENESSOF THE ROMA COMMUNITY
*publication of a magazine partly issued in the Roma language,
*theatre performance, etc.
* 2008-2010 → 11 meetings
* TOPICS → funding of actions for the Roma (the Programme, “Roma component”), education of the Roma children and youths, discrimination in public live, etc.
Team for the Roma Affairs
* established in 2008
* representatives of thegovernment administration and twenty-two Roma representatives
Thank you for your attention