Ideology Defined. Ideology is a set of basic beliefs about life, culture, government, and society.A political ideology provides the framework for looking at government and public policy.. Ideology. Most Americans don't follow a strict ideology, but rather decide their position on an issue by issue basis.Inconsistency
1. Political Ideology Notes
2. Ideology Defined Ideology is a set of basic beliefs about life, culture, government, and society.
A political ideology provides the framework for looking at government and public policy.
3. Ideology Most Americans don’t follow a strict ideology, but rather decide their position on an issue by issue basis.
Inconsistency – Many people might favor lower taxes AND better schools and services.
Its never good to make generalizations about what a certain “group” thinks
4. Liberal – “Left-ist” A person with liberal ideology believes that the national government should be active in helping individuals and communities.
Respect civil/individual liberties/rights.
Every segment of society gets a fair deal.
Traditionally viewed as the group that favors change and new ideas
5. Conservative – “Right-ist” A conservative believes the role of government in society should be very limited.
Individuals should be responsible for their own well-being.
Government should not solve social problems, but private institutions should.
Traditionally viewed as the group that avoided change
6. Moderates Moderate’s opinions fall somewhere between liberal and conservative.
40% of Americans claim to be moderate.
7. Some Comparisons Death Penalty
Liberals – against it
Conservatives – for it
Liberals -- decrease or maintain amount
Conservatives – increase amount
Liberals – increase it
Conservative – lower or eliminate it
8. Radical – Far Left Believe society exploits people and want to drastically change society in order to change it.
Example group – anarchists, Earth First
9. Reactionary – Far Right Strongly conservative
Small minority of people
Solve society’s problems by going back to an earlier time or use religious based solutions
10. Libertarians Center-Right side of spectrum
Believe in a very small government whose role is limited to defense and resolving disputes
Do not want any gov. involvement in economics or society