Bridge Program OU , Summer 2013. Grammar . The following sentence contains redundant words or phrases. Public school art and music programs endeavor to identify each and every child with a creative talent and/or interest. a ) True
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Public school art and music programs endeavor to identify each and every child with a creative talent and/or interest.
The phrase each and every is redundant. Since each and every have the same meaning, one can be eliminated. However, the phrase is also idiomatic and can be used occasionally for emphasis.Redundancy and Wordiness
2. Nonetheless, the programs\' successful past history and future plans cannot seem to help it avoid elimination due to budget cuts.
Pastand history have the same meaning; so do future and plans. One of each pair can be eliminated.Redundancy and Wordiness
3. The following sentence is stringy because it contains excessive coordination or subordination.
Among the filmmakers making films for teens, several--including John Hughes, Amy Heckerling, George Lucas, Cameron Crowe, and the Wachowski brothers--made films that were critically applauded and presented significant, laudable themes for teens.
b) FalseStringy Sentences
4. The following sentence is stringy because it contains excessive coordination or subordination.
In the 1950s and 1960s, films like Rebel Without a Cause began taking on serious social themes, and they did so in a heavy-handed way, but they also were quite imaginative, well acted, and the stories became more and more imaginative.
The sentence is stringy because it contains excessive coordination linking clauses, several of which are only loosely related.Stringy Sentences
Masculine actors like John Wayne and Cary Grant were the models of real men.
a) Truebiased or sexist language
Jewish studio executives, since they made all the decisions about which actors got contracts, were largely responsible for the mostly Caucasian look of Hollywood films.
a) Truebiased or sexist language
8. The following sentence contains a faulty comparison.Tobey Maguire\'s performance was more believable.
a) Truefaulty comparison
9. Select the word(s) that correctly completes the sentence.Students _______ [whose / who\'s] major course of study requires analytical thinking should possess advanced writing skills.
a) whoseMisused/confused words
10. Select the word(s) that correctly completes the sentence.University educators believe advanced writing skills are ___________ [suppose to / supposed to] help students understand the subject matter studied.
b) supposed toMisused/confused words
11. Decide whether the group of words in boldface is a clause or a phrase.
Freshman students in writing classes are often admonished that they should not try to write in an artificial voice.
a) independent clause b) dependent clause
An independent (main) clause can stand by itself as a complete sentence. A dependent (subordinate) clause cannot stand by itself as a sentence: it must be attached to an independent clause.Clauses and Phrases
12. Decide whether the group of words in boldface is a clause or a phrase.
The old English grammar handbook, for example, did not address the issue of style, which is an important element of college writing today.
a. independent clause
The clause The old English grammar handbook, for example, did not address the issue of style is an independent (main) clause. It can stand by itself as a complete sentence.Clauses and Phrases
13. In each sentence, select the best description to identify the word(s) in boldface.
Mountain lions and bobcats compete with each other for hunting territories among the rocky mountains.
Subjects b) direct objects c) objects of a preposition
The subjects of the sentence (Mountain lions and bobcats) must agree with the verb (compete).Subjects and Verbs
14. In each sentence, select the best description to identify the word(s) in boldface.
Campers and backpackers in some national parks must be careful around bears.
The verb of the sentence (must be) expresses action or links the subject in the main clause to the rest of the sentence.Subjects and Verbs
15. The verb in boldface agrees with the subject: Everyone, including the parents, were yelling when the punt was returned for a touchdown.
The indefinite pronoun everyone is always singular.Subjects and Verbs
16. The verb in boldface agrees with the subject: To many college athletes, the belief that sports is perhaps a beginning, rather than a brief pursuit, are a great comfort.
Belief is a singular subject that agrees with the singular verb form is.Subjects and Verbs