Rec 2040
This presentation is the property of its rightful owner.
Sponsored Links
1 / 15

REC 2040 PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 82 Views
  • Uploaded on
  • Presentation posted in: General

REC 2040. Week 6 October 11, 2011 Marketing: Opportunities & Planning Chapters: 1, 2, 3 & 16. Plan for Today. Assignment Review: Marketing Flash Mob Project (15%) - Media releases, visual documentation & How-To Guide Blogs (25%) & e -Portfolio (10%) – Together worth 35% of your grade

Download Presentation

REC 2040

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Presentation Transcript


Rec 2040

REC 2040

Week 6

October 11, 2011

Marketing: Opportunities & Planning

Chapters: 1, 2, 3 & 16


Plan for today

Plan for Today

  • Assignment Review: Marketing

    • Flash Mob Project (15%) - Media releases, visual documentation & How-To Guide

    • Blogs (25%) & e-Portfolio (10%) – Together worth 35% of your grade

    • Group Research Project – Presentation (15%) & written report (10%) – Together 25% of grade

    • Group Marketing Project – 25%

  • Assignment Review : Administration & Volunteer Management

    • Volunteer Management:

      • Case Study due October 24th - 40%

      • Applied Volunteer Cycle due November 22nd - 50% + 10% Peer Evaluation

    • Administration:

      • Partnership Agreement due Today – 20%

      • Flash Mob Project (15%) - Final Report including visual documentation

      • Agency Report Due November 22, 2011 – 30%

      • Training Team Presentation Due November 15 or 22, 2011 – 20%


Plan for today1

Plan for Today …..

  • Managing / Learning with Respect

    • University should leave students stirred – and shaken http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/articlePrint/1055964

    • Colgate – Managing with Respect

  • Class activity:

    • Media Research

    • Preparing media / press releases

  • Marketing Opportunities & Planning

    Reminder: Betty Anne Keller, Manager of Arts, Culture, Festivals and Events from the City of Waterloo will be our Guest Speaker this afternoon.


Managing with respect

Managing with Respect

“University should leave students stirred – and shaken”

Louise Brown, Toronto Star September 19, 2011 http://olympics.thestar.com/2010/articlePrint/1055964

“It seems to be all about marks, not making a mark”

“... one of the hottest feuds in higher education – job skills vs. ideas; the professions vs. liberal arts …”

“ … 70% of all new jobs will require some sort of post-secondary credential, doesn’t mean employers don’t also want students who are interested in critical thinking ….”

“… you begin to understand the wonder of the world and see other paths.”

Aretha Franklin, Respect, by Otis Redding 1967http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0XAI-PFQcA&feature=related


Managing with respect1

Managing with Respect

Colgate – Palmolive Company

http://www.colgate.com

“Managing with Respect” creates an environment where people genuinely care about each other and work well together to reach their full potential. The “Managing with Respect” Five Steps to Living our Values are:

  • Communicate Effectively

  • Give and Seek Feedback

  • Value Unique Contributions

  • Promote Teamwork

  • Set the Example

    http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/US/Corp/LivingOurValues/ManagingWithRespect.cvsp


Managing with respect2

Managing with Respect

Colgate’s Values

Caring

The Company cares about people: Colgate People, consumers, shareholders and business partners. Colgate is committed to act with compassion, integrity and honesty in all situations, to listen with respect to others and to value differences. The Company is also committed to protecting the global environment and enhancing the communities where Colgate people live and work.

Global Teamwork

All Colgate people are part of a global team, committed to working together across countries and throughout the world. Only by sharing ideas, technologies and talents can the Company achieve and sustain profitable growth.

Continuous Improvement

Colgate is committed to getting better every day in all it does, as individuals and as teams. By better understanding consumers’ and customer expectations and continuously working to innovate and improve products, services and processes, Colgate will ‘become the best.’

http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/US/Corp/LivingOurValues/CoreValues.cvsp


Managing with respect3

Managing with Respect

RESPECT Institute – Fulton State Hospital

Responsive

Encouraging

Sensitive

Perceptive

Empowering

Caring

Thoughtful

http://www.power2u.org/downloads/RSPCT-InstTrngMnl6-03-1.pdf


Managing with respect4

Managing with Respect

Disrespectful behaviour in the workplace includes:

  • Loud telephone conversations

  • Showing up late for work or meetings

  • Scheduling excessive personal appointments during work hours

  • Blaming someone else when you are at fault

  • Taking credit for someone else’s work

  • Sending unwanted email

  • Searching for non-work related information on the Internet

  • Having a condescending or rude attitude towards others

  • Talking behind someone’s back

  • Not communicating important information to co-workers

  • Telling offensive jokes and stories

  • Gossiping

  • Not pulling your own weight

  • Providing false or incorrect information

  • Playing personal audio equipment loudly

    http://www.creditworthy.com/3jm/articles/cw81706.html


Flash mob follow up

Flash Mob Follow-up

The Food Bank of Waterloo Region’s Fall Food Drive October 3 – 16, 2011

  • Status reports:

    • Our food drive – need to get the word out campus wide

    • Photo & Video – where are we on this?

      • Need images / video sent to: Conestoga College Corporate Communications, Bob’s Valu-Mart, Sobey’s Bridgeport & Sobey’s Columbia, Food Bank, others?

    • Media release – our story, what is it?

    • How-To Guide

    • Final Report

  • Media Research

  • Writing the release


Flash mob follow up1

Flash Mob Follow-up

Preparing our media release – Simple, professional & direct

  • What story do we want to tell?

  • How do we want to tell it?

  • Who do we want to tell it to?

  • Why do we want to tell it?

  • Where do we want to tell it?


Press release format

Press Release Format

There is a standard format for creating press or media releases:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE (or Hold for release until …)

Headline: (should catch attention and describe the story)

Kitchener, ON September 27, 2011 - Body: This is where the actual story goes. This should be more than one paragraph, however, each paragraph should be no more than 2 – 3 sentences. Write the text so that the news source can take passages or quote directly.

If the release is longer than one page write “-MORE-” at the bottom of the page

Company / Organization Info: background info

Contact Info: Contact person, company, phone, email, mailing address

“###” at bottom of page indicates the end of the release


The food bank of waterloo region

The Food Bank of Waterloo Region

Mission:

Through community partnerships we obtain and distribute emergency food from our neighbours to our neighbours.

Vision:

To channel our community’s energy so no one goes hungry.

Key Words:

Nourish Hope, So No One Goes Hungry, Nourishing, Strengthening, Sharing, Delivering Hope – Through Community Energy, Sharing with my community. Every day., Neighbours Helping Neighbours, Engaging Support, Continuing to Feed


Marketing opportunities planning

Marketing: Opportunities & Planning

Review from Chapter 1:

  • Marketing Mix

    • Four P’s – Price, Product, Place & Promotion (+ People)

      • 1953 by Neil Borden @ American Marketing Association

    • New Four P’s – Personality, Publishing, Packaging & Physics

      • Personality – commingling of corporate & personal branding

      • Publishing – content marketing (need to keep buyers informed & engaged)

      • Packaging – information is key (collecting, analyzing and packaging data)

      • Physics – tracking and transparency (relationship between marketing & revenue)


Marketing opportunities planning1

Marketing: Opportunities & Planning

Review from Chapter 2:

  • Marketing Plan

    • Road Map – how you are doing, where you have been, where you are going and what needs to be done differently

    • Planning Process – SWOT Analysis / Situation Analysis

      • Internal & External Influences

      • Objectives & Goals

      • Evaluation


Marketing opportunities planning2

Marketing: Opportunities & Planning

Review from Chapter 3:

  • Marketing Environment

    • Demographics

      • Baby Boomers (1946 – 1964)

        • Created consumption binge of ‘80’s, today move to added value

        • Interested in: Health, time, home, environment, leisure, advertising (me to we)

      • Baby Busters / Generation X (1965 – 1978)

        • Less influenced by tradition & authority

        • Crave entertainment

        • Communication quick and to the point

      • Generation Y (1979 – 1994)

        • Flexibility, social connection, multiculturalism

      • Generation V (based on achievement, accomplishments and preference for digital information)

        • Creators – 3%

          • Provide original content, promote content & services

        • Contributors – 3 to 10%

          • Add to conversation but don’t initiate, recommend products and services

        • Opportunists – 10 to 20%

          • Add value to conversations

        • Lurkers – 80%

          • Spectators, reap rewards of online community but absorb what is being communicated


  • Login