Anubis. god of embalminghead of a jackalbody of a manwatches over the dead. Osiris. god of the deadjudges souls. Brain. not very important to Egyptiansremoved with a long hook up through the nose and thrown away. Heart. considered the center of thinking and emotionsembalmed separately and returned to the body.
1. The Mummification Process Vocabulary
3. Osiris god of the dead
4. Brain not very important to Egyptians
removed with a long hook up through the nose and thrown away
5. Heart considered the center of thinking and emotions
embalmed separately and returned to the body
6. Organs the stomach, liver, intestines, and lungs were mummified separately and stored in canopic jars
7. Canopic Jars stone or clay jars made to store each of the 4 organs
8. Canopic Jar Gods Imsety- liver
9. Palm Wine used to clean the body cavity
10. Natron salt-like material
packed inside and around the body to dry it out
11. Eye Sockets packed with linen and fake eyes
12. Nostrils filled with beeswax
13. Linen/Sawdust 2 of the materials most often used to pack inside of the body cavity
Sometimes they used leaves and onions (skins and leaves).
14. Perfumed Oils and Spices made the skin soft
made the skin smell good
15. Wax Plates used to cover the incisions in the body
16. Resins These sticky plant-like substances were rubbed over the body to make it water resistant.
It was rubbed over the linen wrappings too.
17. Linen Strips Sometimes miles of these fabric strips were used on a mummy.
18. Amulets good luck charms tucked inside the linen strips as the mummy was being wrapped
19. Book of the Dead a guidebook to the afterlife
contained spells, suggested answers to questions, and advice
20. Opening of the Mouth Ceremony Egyptians believed that this was necessary in order for the mummified person to be able to eat, drink, or move in the afterlife.
21. Mummy Case usually made of wood
Often there were more than one, and they nested one inside of the other.
22. Cartonnage a paper-mache type of material from which portrait masks were made for the mummy case
23. Funeral Process The family paid others to cry and grieve publicly for the dead person.
These hired grievers may not even know the dead person.
24. Sarcophagus large stone outer coffin