1. Welcome to Ms. Vines’ Second Grade
2. Ms. Vines’ Second Grade Welcome to second grade
Find the seat and locker with your name
On the first day… put all your supplies on your desk and get started on the Morning Work
Put your paper towels, soap, sanitizer, and pencils on the kidney table
3. The Plan Enter with a smile.
Unpack quietly and quickly
Bring everything you need for the day
Mark what you will have for lunch
Get a pencil
Go to the restroom
Begin your Morning Work in your spiral notebook
Write one full page on the page after your Morning Work
4. Restroom Breaks Before school
As needed when not teaching
The restroom is not a social area… think about where you are please.
Some people are shy, respect their privacy.
5. Our Classroom Rules We don’t have any rules until after we meet the first day of school. We will review Mrs. Smith’s Behavior Matrix, and then the class will make rules they can follow in our classroom. We develop ownership by making the rules important to us. We will practice what it feels like to follow the rules to build muscle memory and stamina.
6. Consequences Good Behavior gets:
an earned event
Not so good behavior gets:
Notes or Phone calls to parents
A visit to the administrators
In-house suspension or suspension from school
7. Jobs Jobs change on Mondays
Do your job
There are 2 substitutes to do the jobs if there is an absence
Bathroom monitors work quietly
You will be fired if you do not do your job correctly after a warning
8. Pencils Everyone contributes 40 pencils
When you pack up each day put you pencil in the used pencil basket
Pencil Sharpener sharpens them at the end of each day
Get a fresh pencil each morning
If you pencil breaks, put your broken one in the used basket and get a fresh one
Keep pencils out of you mouth!
9. Lunch Put your clothespin on your lunch choice
If your job is to take the lunch count, use the form and count the numbers on the chart, lunch count has to be in by 8:00
I will take lunch money up and fill in the envelope
Please send in lunch money on Mondays.
If your job is to wipe our tables, do so quickly and quietly and NO RUNNING
10. Snacks and Water You may bring a water bottle as long as you understand how to care for the privilege (spills, dropping on the floor)
Students need a pick me up about midmorning so they may bring a healthy snack to eat. Healthy snacks: popcorn, pretzels, fruit, crackers. (please do not send packaged snacks with high sugar content)
11. Heading Your Work Use the first space where you have a top line and a bottom line
Name Number Date
You are responsible for putting your name, number, and date on your paper every time.
12. School /System Wide NO FIGHTING POLICY
Bully- a person who teases, hurts, or threatens others
13. I expect: Students to be on time to class.
Students to complete work in a timely fashion without interrupting other students.
Students should not bring toys to school unless requested to by a teacher.
Students should treat everyone as they want to be treated.
Students should always try their hardest.
Students should always use their best manners.
Students should always have their BEE Books at school each
14. The BEE Book Bring Everything Everyday
Must come to school and go home each day
Notes from PTA or other Organizations
15. Keys to a Great Year Be POSITIVE
Use words to solve problems
Put your name on your papers
Complete your work in a timely manner
Use your manners: PLEASE, THANK YOU, NO THANK YOU, MAY I, I AM SORRY
16. Problems Children don’t want to be in trouble and will protect themselves when telling parents about an event
All parties have a side to the story… and no one started “it”
If there is a problem, please talk to me
I teach problem solving to my students
17. Problem Solving Giving Students Responsibility I get the parties involved to face one another and have eye contact
I have the complaining student tell the other student what they did
We give the other student the opportunity to apologize and the complaining student to respond
Students are proud of themselves when they can solve their own problems and will seek adults to tell about it
18. Ways To Contact Me 859-7187 and leave a message, please don’t ask to be put through to my classroom during the school day- in the afternoons I am in meetings or preparing for the next day: leave a message
Email [email protected]
Note in the BEE Book (tell your child there is a note for me)
19. AR Computer Comprehension Check
Every student needs to take at least one test each week… to make that happen, we will all take one on our last weekly visit to the computer lab
To do well read the book carefully, talk about the book to someone, and try taking an online test at www.bookadventure.net
20. Vines’ Class News Weekly newsletter to help parents keep in contact with our week
Important Events and Reminders
Goes home on Fridays… Posted on webpage
21. Parties We have 2 parties each year: Winter Holidays Celebration and End Of The Year Celebration
We have a policy in place where students cannot share foods with sugar or high fructose sugar as the first ingredient
If you want to share your birthday with your classmates… popcorn, pretzels, Goldfish Crackers, non food items, or a craft activity
We will have some other celebrations throughout the year
22. Successful Year Be on time
Have your supplies
Have your lunch money/lunch
Do your best
Turn in your work with you name on it
Be RESPONSIBLE for your actions
Have a good time
Smile when you come to school
Use your manners