NIH 101: What You Need to Know! Lana Shekim, PhD, NIDCD ASHA LfS ’08 Conference. Outline. NIDCD Mission in Research on Human Communication Brief Orientation to NIH Research Project Grant Programs (R03, R21, R01) The People Behind Them (Program, Review, Grants Management). NIDCD.
National Institute on Aging (NIA) (http://www.nia.nih.gov/)
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) (http://www.nichd.nih.gov/)
National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/)
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) (http://www.ninds.nih.gov/)
To identify major opportunities and gaps in biomedical research that no single institute at NIH could tackle alone but that the agency as a whole must address, to make the biggest impact on the progress of medical research.
1. Lack of an original idea
2. Diffuse, unfocused, or superficial research plan
3. Lack of knowledge of published relevant work
4. Lack of experience in essential methodology
5. Uncertainty concerning future directions
6. Questionable reasoning in experimental approach
7. Absence of acceptable scientific rationale
8. Unrealistically large amount of work
9. Lack of sufficient experimental detail
10. Uncritical approach
Go for it research
& good luck!