10th Grade Music Appreciation Introduction to the music eras. Miss Valerie Niese The Middle Ages (450-1450) The spread of Christianity: it was first accepted as the official Religion of the Roman empire. - The music of the church was set to the sty le of Gregorian Chant.
Introduction to the music eras.
Miss Valerie Niese
or homework tonight.
Define these terms using your textbook:
1. Gregorian chant, 2. Polyphony, 3. Troubadours,
4. Motet, 5. Madrigal (Italian), 6. Chanson,
7. Imitative texture, 8. Word painting, 9. Concerto,
10. Sonata, 11. Basso Continuo, 12. Homophonic,
13. Contrapuntal, 14. Aesthetics, 15. Dissonance.
Short Essays (use textbook)
1) How has history helped music become what it is today?
2) I named a few composers from the different music
eras. Who are some other composers from the baroque and
classical era that were not mentioned? (name 2 for each)
3) Compare the Middle Ages with the Renaissance period.
Bonus. Write a paragraph about a 20th century composer
other than the one who was mentioned.