Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. MEMORIES: Preserving the Past With the Technology of the Future.
2. Table of Contents Part I: Digitization for Preservation
What is Digitization?
Explanations of digitization and methods used
Examples of Digitization
Part II: Digitizing the History of Kinsman
What we hope to accomplish
How much is there to do?
Part III: Digitizing Ohio: The Ohio Memory Scrapbook
What is Ohio Memory?
Why we want to be part of this project
Part IV: How it All Ties Together
3. Digitization for Preservation Applying Technology to the Archiving Process
4. What is Digitization? Digitization is the process of placing tangible,
real world items into an electronic format.
The use of digital cameras, flatbed scanners, and other computer technology to create virtual museums.
The digital format gives the subject longevity far beyond what the original item would have.
5. What can be done with Digitization? This picture of the
Kinsman Free Public
Library is a scanned
image of a photograph
that is in the Librarys
collection. It has been
placed in a digital format
using a flatbed scanner.
6. What does the Library do with Digitization Technology? We Preserve existing documents and relics
We Digitize photographs
We Organize data so that it is available to all
7. What are the advantages of Digitization over traditional Archiving? Digital archiving reduces wear and tear of original item
A digital archive can be viewed anywhere in the world through an internet capable PC
A digital archive can be used to clean up a photograph or object without altering the original
8. What does it mean to clean up an object?
9. Where can I see a digital archive? An example of a
digital archive is closer
to home than you
might think. We at
the Kinsman Free
Public Library host a
small digital archive
on our website. And
its growing all the
10. Digitizing the History of Kinsman Applying Technology to Preserve the History of our Community
11. The Focus of Digitization at Kinsman Library Due to the interest shown in
various parts of our Digital
history website, we have
decided to focus on several
key aspects of Kinsmans
The Kinsman Family
The Parker Family
12. Why Focus There? Clarence Darrow is the most famous citizen of Kinsman.
The Kinsman family, for whom the town is named, gave much to the community.
The Parker family wrote many letters back and forth as relatives traveled west during the gold rush.
13. Who Looks at This Stuff?! People from all over the country and the world can view our digital history. So far, people have called from:
14. What will be done after this focus is completed? We have an entire room
full of history to digitize!
After weve completed
the Librarys collection
Of Clarence Darrow,
Parker family and
Memorabilia, our focus will
most likely shift first to Dr.
E. Lyman Scott and then on
to the rest of our collection.
15. Digitizing Ohio: The Ohio Memory Scrapbook
16. What is the Ohio Memory Scrapbook?
17. What does this have to do with us?
18. How do we make submissions? Submissions are made by subject categories
Each subject category is subdivided into smaller categories
Ohio Memory offers suggestions in each sub-category (Kinsman has in its collection objects fitting into almost all categories!) Some examples:
Early Political records and artifacts.
Sheet music written locally or by local songwriters
Maps and town plans
And Much Much More!
19. Where can I go for more information? http://www.ohiomemory.org is the address of the Ohio Memory Website. Here you can find detailed information about submissions and criteria.
http//www.ohio200.com is the address of the Ohio Bicentennial website. Information about Ohios 200th birthday can be found here
http://www.ohiohistory.org is the address of the Ohio Historical Society. Much can be found here regarding all things related to the history of the state of Ohio.
20. How does this all tie together? Digitization in Practical Use
21. Where are we going with digitization? Digitization can be used to preserve, protect, and make widely available historical items
Digitization can also be used to do things such as desktop publishing.
22. Digitization: Archives in the Future Digitization will soon be as widely used as traditional archiving methods.
The advantages of Digital archiving; such as easily swapped files and pictures, longevity of the new digital laser formats, the worldwide area digital archives can exist in; make this a favorable method of archiving.