Cardinal Ambrozic CSS. sUBSTANCE USE and abuse-2. “Gateway drugs”: Alcohol and tobacco. “ Gateway Drugs ” (Theory). The concept of “ gateway drugs ” implies that the use of certain drugs ( eg . alcohol, tobacco, cannabis) lead to the use of other harder drugs ( eg . cocaine, heroin).
Cardinal Ambrozic CSS
sUBSTANCE USE and abuse-2
Alcohol and tobacco
Did You Know??
- There are over 4,000 chemicals in tobacco smoke and at least 40 of them are known to be carcinogenic (cancer-causing).
Disturbing Facts & Findings:
Why teens DO NOT smoke:- ---
Why teens DO smoke:- ---
“Once You Start, It’s Hard to Stop”
Smoking ONE cigarette causes:
Some of the major long-term risks of smoking are:
Different approaches work for different people:
Second-Hand Smoke = Environmental Tobacco
Smoke (ETS)= “Passive Smoking” = exhaled
smoke from a smoker, or from a smoldering cigarette is
inhaled by another person (non-smoker)
Because it changes the way a person
thinks, feels, and acts.
Just How Alcoholic Is It?
- Regular Beer (5%) – 340 mL (12 oz)
- Wine (12%) – 142 mL (5 oz)
- Spirits (40%) – 43 mL (1.5 oz)
- Coolers (5%) – 340 mL (12 oz)
oxidized (broken down) by the liver.
lead to cirrhosis (scarring) of
Blood-Alcohol Content (BAC)
* amount of alcohol consumed at one time
* size, gender, and age
* rate of alcohol metabolism
* circumstances in which alcohol is consumed
(eg. empty/full stomach or angry/depressed mood)
* other substances (eg. drugs) used in conjunction
Stages of Intoxication
Consequences of Drinking and Driving in Ontario
MADD is an organization that focuses not only on preventing drunk driving fatalities, but also on ceasing impaired driving of any kind.
MADD Canada has 70 chapters.
Alcohol is classified as a depressant. Its first effects
are to “depress” a persons system causing:
Some of the major long-term risks of alcohol are:
Signs of Alcoholism: