Patrick Boumier (to Alan). Building GOLF. IAS + OCA + SAp + Bordeaux Obs. + IAC + UCLA. Caution Any resemblance to persons living or dead or to scenarii is not purely accidental, but the details were somewhat different… !.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Patrick Boumier (to Alan)
IAS + OCA + SAp + Bordeaux Obs. + IAC + UCLA
Any resemblance to persons living or dead or to scenarii is not purely accidental, but the details were somewhat different… !
As invisible as Obelixisalwayshungry, the two expressions have an identicalform !
- Fano HS, if we suppress the term B2 and the non-correlated background, the asymmetry factor q being equivalent to 1/B.
- The asymmetry sign reversal comes naturally from how the system is observed (atomic physics).
- Intoduction of a “correlated background” to explain the sign reversal for B depending on the observable.
- Derivedthrough an expansion in small quantities and the neglect of higher order terms.
- To which physics the B2 term does correspond ?
Both situations can be thought of as arising through the mixture of coincident stationary states, one arising from a discrete resonance, the other a “continuum" in the AS language, which is equivalent to “background noise" in the present-day terminology of HS.
We show that the underlying physics of the interaction of a discrete resonance with a correlated continuum is common to both systems.
- The additional term B2 in the HS fitting formula is unnecessary
Even more interesting as far as Physics is concerned:
This works addresses the question whether the two interacting influences of excitation sources and correlated solar background, are really separate independent processes.
Probably a subtlemixing !
Some students gave a nickname to Alan:
Idefix (idée fixe) !
English translation: Dogmatix… !
Idée fixe obstiverance ≠ dogmatism
Thank you Alan !