Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Water Treatment CE 326 Principles of Environmental Engineering
Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
Iowa State University
March 3, 2008
Tim Ellis, Ph.D., P.E.
2. Fig 4-8: Flow Diagram of conventional surface water treatment plant (?filtration plant?)
3. Fig 4-8: Flow diagram of water softening plant
4. Coagulation = Charge reductionFlocculation = Contact of particles
5. Fig 4-10: Effect of salt on electric potential
6. Fig 4-11: Effect of valence on electric potential
7. Fig 4-13: results from jar test
8. Alkalinity in CoagulationNeeded to neutralize acid formed
9. Paddle Mixer Details
10. Paddle Mixers in Left Chamber and Flocculators in Right Two Chambers
11. Fig 4-35: Settling in an upflow clarifier
12. Fig 4-32: Zones of sedimentation on a horizontal flow clarifier
15. Fig 4-37: Partial solids removal in ideal sedimentation tank
17. Let?s say v0 = 0.20 mm/sWhat % removal for particles with settlingvelocity = 0.15 mm/s?
26. Fig 4-43: Typical gravity filter box
27. Fig 4-44: Operation of rapid sand filter
28. Manual Control Panel in Water Treatment Plant
29. Lime slaker and feed system.
30. Upflow solids contact tank. Effluent weir on right.
31. Settling tank with radial weirs
32. Rapid sand filter with exposed under drain block.Wash water troughs run from left into gullet on right.
33. Rapid sand filter with water level just below backwash troughs. Note iron stain at high water line.
34. Rapid sand filter during filtration.Reflection shows water level above gullet and backwash troughs.
35. Rotameter used to measure flowrate of gaseous chlorine into water.
36. Hydrofluorosilicic acid drum and pump metering system for feeding fluoride into water.
37. Softening sludge lagoon. Winter view shows ice (light blue) where supernatant water is stnading.
38. Overview of water treatment plant showing sludge lagoons and building housing treatment facilities.