Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Plan and draw a vegetable garden that will produce enough of 10 different vegetables to feed your family for one year.
2. Conduct the required research on each vegetable (see vegetable identification and research form)
3. Calculate the amount of each vegetable needed to feed your family for one year.
We will use 4 ounces per person for each vegetable as the average serving size.
Figure that each person will eat one serving per week of each vegetable.
Remember there are 52 weeks in a year.
EXAMPLE: feed your family for one year.
Family of 6
4 ounces of peas per person per week
4 X 6 = 24 ounces per week
24 X 52 weeks = 1248 ounces per year
1248/16 ounces per pound = 78 pounds of peas per year
4. Calculate the amount of each vegetable you will need to grow in row feet.
Definition: The length of a row in your garden.
If you plant 30 feet of corn in your garden how many row feet do you have?
30 Row Feet or 30 RF
How many row feet of peas will you need to plant in order to produce 78 pounds of peas?
First, figure out how many pounds of peas are produced per row foot?
Organic Gardening Book, pg. 125.
78 pounds/2.5 pounds per RF =
31.2 RF of peas
(round this off to 30 RF)
So, you will need to plant 30 row feet of peas.
Use this same process for each of your 10 vegetables.
5. Figure out the size of your garden. produce 78 pounds of peas?Example: Need 300 RF
3’ produce 78 pounds of peas?
6.Draw your garden on a piece of 8.5 X 11” paper. produce 78 pounds of peas?
Use a ¼” scale. (¼” = 1 foot)
Draw in the vegetables – use color. Be sure to draw in the correct amount in row feet and
be sure to plant them the correct distance apart in the rows.
Label N, S, E, W
Label each row or make a vegetable key – use ¼” block letters.
Put a title at the top of your paper:
VEGETABLE GARDEN PLAN - NAME, DATE, PERIOD
VEGETABLE GARDEN PLAN – JOE STUDENT, 5/25/10, PERIOD 1
The Garden Plan produce 78 pounds of peas?
7. Calculate the value of each vegetable grown. produce 78 pounds of peas?
Price per pound X pounds produced = value
Price at store: $1.89/lb.
$1.89 X 78 pounds = $147.42
10.Calculate the profit from the garden. produce 78 pounds of peas?
Total value minus cost = profit
WHAT TO TURN IN: 10 Veg. Research formsPage of calculations Complete garden plan
Garden Planning Tips produce 78 pounds of peas?
1. Plant perennials together.
2. Group quickly maturing crops so you can plant other vegetables when they are harvested or plant them between rows of later maturing crops.
3. Plant the correct distance between rows. We will use 3 feet between each row.
4. Plant some crops in 2 week intervals so you can harvest at different times during the growing season. (lettuce, spinach, green beans, corn)
5. Plant a fall crops in areas where early vegetables have been harvested. (peas, lettuce, etc.)
Raised Bed, Wide Row Method produce 78 pounds of peas?
1. More production.
2. Beds dry out and warm up quicker in the spring.
3. Deeper topsoil for roots.
4. Easier to weed.
Crop Rotation produce 78 pounds of peas?
Don’t plant the same crops in the same rows in your garden each year.
1. Reduces insect problems.
2. Reduces disease problems.
Hardiness produce 78 pounds of peas?
A plant’s resistance to cold weather or frost.
Plant Hardiness Zones produce 78 pounds of peas?
Average minimum temperatures in an area.
Climate Zone produce 78 pounds of peas?
A climate zone is different than a plant hardiness zone. Climate zones are based on average temperatures, rainfall, and growing season length. According the Western Garden Book, we are in climate zone 6.
279 day growing season
Maritime climate – influenced by the ocean
Your Garden Soil produce 78 pounds of peas?
1. Good drainage.
2. Good supply of organic matter.
3. Good supply of plant food (nutrients).
4. Proper pH (6.3 to 7.0).
Clayey Soil produce 78 pounds of peas?
How to improve it?
1. Add manure.
3. Add leaves.
2. Add crop residue.
4. Add sand.
Liming Your Garden Soil produce 78 pounds of peas?
How much lime should you add?
10 pounds per 100 square feet every 2 to 3 years.
If you have a garden that measures produce 78 pounds of peas?40 X 60, how much lime would you need to apply?
40 X 60 =
2400 square feet
Rate of application = 10 pounds per 100 square feet
10/100 = .10 pounds per square foot
.10 X 2400 = 240 pounds of lime
Fertilizer for Your Garden produce 78 pounds of peas?
How often should you add it?
What kind should you use?
Commercial fertilizerOr you could use manure
Example fertilizer grades:
Which nutrient do leafy vegetables and corn need lots of? produce 78 pounds of peas?
What nutrient do root crops like carrots need lots of? need lost of?