Mustang Minute:. Look at the following sentences, particularly the underlined word. Try to guess what the word’s meaning is and write down the word and its definition . Also, write one reason WHY you think that is the definition . Context Clues: . A guide for figuring out what a word means!.
Look at the following sentences, particularly the underlined word. Try to guess what the word’s meaning is and write down the word and its definition. Also, write one reason WHY you think that is the definition.
A guide for figuring out what a word means!
amethod by which the meanings of unknown wordsmaybeobtained by examining the parts of asentencesurroundingthe word fordefinition/explanationclues, restatement/synonymclues,contrast/antonymclues,andinference/generalcontextclues
Definition: expressing feelings or opinions in a very loud or forceful way: expressed in a very loud or forceful way
Definition: very clever and able to make intelligent decisions
Definition: to make (someone or something) very weak or tired
Definition: harmful to living things
Definition: to jump around in a lively way
Look at the word(s) and sentence(s) before and after the unfamiliar word.
Quickly guess what the word may mean or what you think it may mean.
Replace the unknown word with what you think it means? Does it make sense?
If the word you chose to replace it with didn’t make sense, repeat the process! Find another word to try out instead. If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again!
1. There were so many times when I felt shame, and all the hope drained from my soul as I watched the adults in my family kowtow to white people (15).
2. Walking the gauntlet to my next class was even more harrowing (112).
3. He complimented me saying I was articulate, and asked if I could write (121).
4. I’m an average teenager, just like yourself, with the same aspirations and heartaches (122).
5.He ended his long statement by demanding that all persons engaged in obstruction of justice “cease and desist” (124).
6. I sat perfectly still, my attention riveted on the television screen, where the most wonderful pictures moved before my eyes (126).