HIGH-RATE COMPOSTING TECHNOLOGY -- An Unique New High-Tech Approach for Solid Waste Treatment. James C. Lu, Ph.D., PE. Current Main-Stream Solid Waste Treatment Methods & Their Problems. Main-Stream Methods : 1. Sanitary Landfills (for Municipal Solid Wastes (MSW));
James C. Lu, Ph.D., PE
1. Sanitary Landfills (for Municipal Solid Wastes (MSW));
Sanitary Landfills & Land Applications (for Municipal Sludge)
1. Not a complete waste reduction, detoxification and recycling method
2. Generate serious secondary pollution problems
(such as air pollution, water pollution, toxic substances pollution, pathogen contamination,
land pollution, odor problems, etc.)
3. Loss of valuable land
4. Large waste quantity generated, Difficulty of finding treatment sites
(Degradation Process: requires days to weeks;
Curing Process: requires at least about one month.)
(1) Very High Moisture Absorption and Holding Capability,
(2) High Nutrients Adsorption and Holding Capability,
(3) Soil Particles Holding and Conservation Capability,
(4) Soil Air Ventilation Capability,
(5) Soil Water Transmission Capability, and
(6) Soil Thermal Insulation Capability.
paper & Pulp, Refinery, and medicine manufacturing industries)
largest cities in the world.
within one hour.
types of wastes.
also can be used for desertification control, large area
agricultural pollution prevention, landfill mining, dredge
materials utilization, mining wastes remediation, etc.
Inventor’s Resume Advantages Among All Solid Waste Treatment Methods
Ph.D.：Environmental Science & Engineering, University of
Southern California, USA
MS： Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of
Sanitary Engineering, National Taiwan University
BS： Civil Engineering, National Taiwan University
Part-Time Faculty Member at: University of Southern
California; UC Irvine; Cal State U, Long Beach
Dr.James C. Lu