Lesson 11 One good turn deserves another ( A proverb/saying ). By Lisa_ding August 3rd,2009. Language points:. 1.turn---behaviour 2.another e.g. another turn , another book 3.pay for e.g. I paid ten yuan for the magazine. =I spent ten yuan on the magazine.
e.g. another turn , another book
e.g. I paid ten yuan for the magazine.
=I spent ten yuan on the magazine.
=The magazine cost me ten yuan.
When my father came back, I was doing my homework.
7.work in a lawyer’s office
e. g. Ten years ago, I worked on a farm.
e.g. I have been to America before.
9.work at a bank
sit on a bank
10. get a good salary
11. borrow money from
lend sth. to sb.
12. pay back
13. sit at the same table
15. lend me twenty pounds
=lend twenty pounds to me
16. to my surprisen.
e.g. To mysurprise, Lili got the first prize.
be surprised at a.
e.g. I was surprised at he news.
be surprised to do a.
e.g. I was surprised to hear the news
to one’s joy
17. immediately==at once ==right now
1.At a restaurant.
2.I saw Tony after a while.
3.He always borrows money from his friends.
4.Tony sat at my table.
6.He gave me the money at once.
7.He wanted me to pay for his dinner.
3. was writing….talked/were talking
4. am typing
5. passed/were passing
was……became…..died….. Was built…..
were called……was begun……
was completed….. cost……
has been visited
1. b 2. b 3. b 4.a 5. b
6. c 7. c 8. a 9. c 10. c
11. b 12. d
1. good luck
a lucky girl
2. Captain Alison
3. our neighbour
live in a new neighbourhood
4. sail from
6. at the harbour
7. will be in his small boat
be famous for
Shanghai is famous for the Oriental Pearl TV Tower.
Beijing is famous for the Great Wall.
e.g. across the river/street/road
E.g. through the forest/door/window/air
11. many times (How many times)
12. set out==set off
13. plenty of time
=huge amounts of time
14. say goodbye to sb.
15. be away from
He has been away from here for ten years.
17. take part in==join in
Last week I took part in an English Party.
My brother joined the army last year.
I will attend a meeting this afternoon.
18. an important race
10. across the Atlantic
II. The answers to the questions;
1. We shall meet our neighbour Captain Charles Alison.
2. He will be in his small boat, Topsail.
3. He will leave at eight..
4. We shall say goodbye to him
5.He will take part in an important race across the Atlantic.
will say……will meet….…
will set out……will have……
shall see……shall say….. will be……
will take part
1.c 2. c 3. a 4. d 5. d
6. a 7. d 8. a 9. c 10. d
11. a 12. a
I.Choose the correct word to complete each sentence:
1. We often____ (borrow/lend) books from the public library.
2. Sally seldom_____ (borrows/lends) her bicycle to anyone else.
3. Sometimes it is not convenient to _____(borrow/lend) money from others.
4. He decided not to_____ (borrow/lend) his neighbour anything.
5. Please ____(borrow/lend) me twenty dollars so that I can buy that calculator.
6. Don’t ___(borrow/lend) your things to people with bad memories.
1. He didn’t earn enough to___ his tution.
A. pay b. pay for c. pay back d. pay out
2. How much do I need to ____ you?
A. pay b. pay for c. pay back d. pay off
3. When can you ____the money you borrowed from James?
A. pay b. pay for c. pay back d. pay in
4. In the restaurant, they sat___ the table near the window.
A. on b. at c. in d. by
A. some b. any c. a lot of d. great
6. I paid my teacher a visit the other day.=I___ my teacher the other day.
A. paid b. visited c. met d. saw
7. Watch out!=Be____.
A. careful b. sick c. happy d. angry
8. It is my business to take care of the god.=It is my___ to look after the dog.
A. job b. heart c. trade d. profession
1. His mother ___”Don’t be nervous”.
2. The man was ____ to my teacher.
3. Can you_______ English?
4. Don’t ____ anybody about this cave.