The Art of sailing in uncharted seas: the Internet and the role of the information professional. Penny Garrod University of Plymouth. The Internet and the role of the information professional. why do information professionals need Internet skills?
University of Plymouth
1. understanding the basic nature of the Net
2. Search engines
4. publishing on the Web
newsletters e.g.Heriot Watt (http://www.hw.ac.uk/libWWW/irn.html)
printed guides (e.g.Tseng et al.)The Internet: building knowledge
- motivation + interest + time
- provide right environment/encourage
- provide initial training/awareness sessions
[‘People don’t value what they don’t use’ Diane Nahl, University of Hawaii]
1. Paul Glister. Digital Literacy.
New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1997
2. June Abbas. The library profession & the Internet: Implications & scenarios for change. Katherine Sharp Review No.5,Summer,1997.
3. Tseng, G. et al. The library and Information Professional’s guide to the Internet, London: Library Association Publishing, 1995.