Steven Hawking. Answer the following questions. 1. Why did Stephen Hawking need a PhD? 2. When did Hawking become famous? 3. When did Hawking visit Beijing? 4. How would you feel when told that you have got an incurable disease? 5. Did Stephen Hawking give up? If not, what did he do?
1. Why did Stephen Hawking need a PhD?
2. When did Hawking become famous?
3. When did Hawking visit Beijing?
4. How would you feel when told that you have got an incurable disease?
5. Did Stephen Hawking give up? If not, what did he do?
6. How does he travel around the world?
7. How does he give speeches without moving his lips?
9. How did Stephen Hawking make his book a best-seller?
10. What do people often think of science and what’s the opinion of Hawking?
11. How many steps should a scientific theory generally go through and what are they?
12. Is it difficult for people to understand Hawking’s lectures? Why?
13. What is it that Hawking does not like his speech computer?
Give one word to each paragraph.
Hawking’s research and achievements:
He makes research into some great questions,
What is time
How did the universe begin
What exactly are black holes
Hawking made discoveries about
________________________ in the early 1970s.
His scientific book ____________________ was written in a way __________________
the big bang and black holes
A Brief History of Time
that ordinary people
that science is about
“true” facts that never change
People often think____________________
even the best theory
can turn out to be wrong
How do you understand the title “No boundaries” ?
________ Has No Boundaries
1. According to the 1st paragraph, a promising graduate student _____.
A. has an incurable disease which makes people disabled
B. is a man who never gives up his dreams and hopes for the future
C. is very likely to be successful or very good in the future
D. learns at one of the well-known universities in the world
2. The incurable disease mentioned in the text made Stephen Hawking _____.
A. stop working on a PhD
B. lose the ability to walk and talk
C. get engaged to a nice girl
D. give up the way of life he had dreamed of
3. _______ made Stephen Hawking well-known in the world. Hawking _____.
A. The research on the incurable disease
B. His book A Brief History of Time
C. His new discoveries about the universe
D. The lectures he gave all over the world
A. it's about the Big Bang and black holes
B. it explains what it means to be a scientists and how science works
C. it includes answers to many questions about the universe
D. it was written in a way ordinary people could understand
A. science is often misunderstood
B. science is changing all the time
C. some science facts can be wrong
D. true science facts always stay unchanged
6. The basic steps of the scientific method do NOT necessarily include________.
A. getting a model with which to test the theory
B. building a theory about how things happen
C. observing something with care and attention
D. trying to test the theory in a practical way
imagine yourself to be rich and famous
1. imagine, imagination (n.)
I can‘t imagine Peter being caught cheating in the exam.
Who do you imagine ____to his birthday party?
A. invited B. inviting
C. being invited D. to invite
a student full of imagination
2. promise, promising(= of great / high promise) necessarily include________.
Mother promised me to buy a bicycle.
make a promise
keep one‘s promise
break one's promise
3. seek (sought, sought)
seek (for/ after) success
seek one‘s fortune
5. turn out necessarily include________.
Everything turned out /proved (to be) all right.
The factory can turn out 100 cars a day.
1. There did not seem (to be) much point in working on my PhD — I did not expect to survive that long.
①There seemed / happened / used to be a Children's Palace here.
There lived / lies / stands an old fisherman by the sea.
②There's _______ （没有用） in asking him to attend the meeting.
要点 necessarily include________.
He was on the point of leaving the office when the telephone rang.
③ Everything turned out better than (it had been) expected.
2. But in order to / to get married, I needed a job.... necessarily include________. 可是为了能结婚，我需要一份工作。
= I needed a job in order to / so as to / to get married.
3. Instead of giving up, Hawking went on with his research, got his PhD and married Jane.
①He has fallen ill, let me do it____ (instead / instead of) him.
He has fallen ill. I will do it____ (instead / instead of).
③Choose the correct sentences
4. Nor did he let the disease stop him from living the kind of life he had always dreamed of.
①If you don't go to the cinema, nor/neither ___ I.
②Nothing will stop / prevent him (from) going there.
③I have been dreaming of /about seeing you again so that I can get help from you with my English.
5. Readers were pleased and surprised to find that a scientist could write about his work in a way that ordinary people could understand.
6. Hawking explains both what it means to be a scientist and how science works.
Fill in the blanks with the proper words
7. They are studying something that is too large or too difficult to observe directly.
The teacher's lessons are not easy to ______(forget).
8. People who listen to Hawking’s lecture sometimes find it difficult to understand him....
I think it quite necessary for the students to finish their homework on time.
1．We were surprised to find he was a writer with rich ______. (imagine)
2．The students felt greatly ______ (inspiration) on seeing Chinese athletes winning Olympic gold medals.
3．After he _______ (analysis) the reading material carefully, he divided it into three parts.
4．We should work hard and try to become a man useful to _______. (social)
5． ______ (science) discoveries are important to the development of history.
Translate the following into English.词形变换：（用括号里的单词的适当形式完成句子）
a promising graduate
an incurable disease
causes and effects
in the 1970s
according to the weather forecast
continue/go on with his research work
get engaged to a nice girl 词形变换：（用括号里的单词的适当形式完成句子）
seek answers to questions about the nature of the universe
dreams and hopes for the future
stop/keep/prevent him from living the kind of life he has always dreamt of