Africa. 1. 11.6 million square miles (USA = 3.7 million) Eritrea is about the size of UT 2. Widely regarded in the scientific community to be the origin of humans 3. Lake Victoria is the world’s 2nd largest freshwater lake; 26,560 sq/mi (same as WV)
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. 11.6 million square miles (USA = 3.7 million) Eritrea is about the size of UT
2. Widely regarded in the scientific community to be the origin of humans
3. Lake Victoria is the world’s 2nd largest freshwater lake; 26,560 sq/mi (same as WV)
4. Niger River = 2,600 miles; Congo R. = 2,900 miles; Nile = 4,132
5. Water travel was nearly impossible because of waterfalls, rapids, sand bars, or dry
6. Oil, uranium, diamonds, and about half the world’s supply of gold.
7. Bananas, pineapples, coffee, cocoa, and rubber – clear cutting the rainforest
8. Rainforest: 1990 = 1.5 billion acres; 2005 = half that
1. 3000 African ethnic groups
2. 2000 languages
3. Most are Christian or Muslim
4. 66% in agriculture, mostly subsistence
5. One’s ethnic group is often more important than loyalty to a government
1. 75% Black; 14% White
2. 11 official languages
3. Apartheid – “official policy of racial segregation involving political, legal, and economic discrimination against nonwhites”
4. 1994 – 1st election in which all adults could vote
5. Nelson Mandela becomes first black President
1. Idi Amin – President 1971-79
2. He gave himself the title "His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular"
3. He granted himself a number of grandiose titles, including "King of Scotland".
4. US Ambassador described Amin\'s regime as "racist, erratic, brutal, inept, bellicose, irrational, ridiculous, and militaristic...but its most salient characteristic has been Amin\'s rampant xenophobia."
5. Killed 300,000 Christians, Hindus, etc. before being exiled to Saudi Arabia
1. No money to buy resources
a. Little or none
b. “Brain drain” – sent abroad for education and never return
3. Ethnic conflict – borders drawn by Europeans
4. Corrupt government
a. Mobutu Sese Seko – ruled Zaire for 27 years
b. 0 hospitals built
c. Less pavement than Columbus, OH
d. 53% of budget went to rulers
e. 22% to military
f. 3% to health/human services
g. Ghana had military coups in 1972, 1978, 1979, 1981
5. Population – 5% growth rate
a. Rwanda – 8 children per family
b. Population projected to double by 2035
6. Health Care – little or no facilities
a. Health care spending less than $1 per person
b. Africa has the highest BR, DR, IMR, and the shortest LE in the world!
c. Shortage of workers = closing of the industries
d. Leading causes of death:
2. Unclean water (disease) (lack of sanitation)
a. Contracted by birth, heterosexual, prostitution
b. No education
c. Many scientists believe that HIV/AIDS originated in chimpanzees in Africa