This presentation summarizes the caries formation process and fluoride mode of action
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Caries Formation and the Effects of Various Fluorides in Treatment
Initial subsurface demineralization
1. Initial subsurface demineralization
Extension of demineralized
zone towards dentine
Collapse of surface layer to form cavity
3. Collapse of surface layer to form cavity
Extension of caries lesion into dentine
Extension of caries into pulp
Possible formation of apical abscess
1. Collins WJN, et al. A Handbook for Dental Hygienists. 3rd edition. Oxford: Wright, 1992.2. Clarkson BH, et al. Caries Res 1991;25:166-173.
Figure 1. Sectioned, extracted tooth with three caries lesions
Figure 2. A single caries lesion showing bacterial invasion in dentinal tubules
Adapted from Aoba T. Oral Dis 2004;10:249-257.
1. Gao XJ, et al. J Dent Res 2001;80:1834-1839.
©iStockphoto.com/ Wolfgang Amri
Inhibit acid generation from plaque bacteria4
1. Silverstone LM. Clinical uses of fluoride 1985;153-175.2. Featherstone JD, et al. J Dent Res 1990;69:620-625.3. Aoba T. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 1997;8:136-153.4. Briner WW & Francis MD. Arch Oral Biol 1962;7:541-550.
1. Hamilton IR, et al. Fluoride in dentistry. Copenhagen: Munksgaard; 1996. p23-51.2. Whitford GM, et al. Infect Immun 1977;18:680-687.3. Van Loveren C. J Dent Res 1990;69:676-681.4. ten Cate JM. Acta Odontol Scand 1999;57:325-329.
1. Twetman S, et al. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica 2003;61;6:347-355.2. Volpe AR, et al. Am J Dent. 1993;6:S13-S42.3. Sullivan RJ, et al. J Clin Dent. 1995;6:135-138.
1. Friberger P. Scand J Dent Res 1975:83;339-344.2. White DJ, et al. Caries Res 1986;20:332-336.3. ten Cate JM. Eur J Oral Sci 1997;105:461-465.
1. Newby CS, et al. J Clin Dent 2006;17:94-99.2. Lynch RJ, et al. Int Dent J 2005;55:175-178.3. Bowen WH. J Royal Soc Med 1995;88:505-507.4. Stephen KW, et al. Int Dent J 1994;44:287-295.
1. Zero DT, et al. Caries Res 2007;41:268-334.
Data expressed as least square mean ± S.D. n=39*p<0.01 compared with 1000ppm F MFP/450ppm NaF
1. Newby EE, et al. 54th ORCA Congress. July 2007. Caries Res 2007;41:328 (abs 173).
1. Zero DT, et al. Caries Res 2007;41:268-334. 2. Zero DT, et al. Presented at the 85th General Session & Exhibition of the International Association for Dental Research (IADR), New Orleans, USA, 2007.3. Newby EE, et al. 54th ORCA Congress. July 2007. Caries Res 2007;41:328 (abs 173).
For more information visit: