Sickle cell disease
Download
1 / 14

Sickle Cell Disease - PowerPoint PPT Presentation


  • 137 Views
  • Uploaded on
  • Presentation posted in: General

Sickle Cell Disease. Blaze Mowatt. SBI 3U. http://www.unm.edu/~mpachman/Blood/sicle.htm. Definition. Disorder of the red blood cells that carry oxygen to body tissue Normal red blood cells are round and soft

loader
I am the owner, or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the owner, of the copyrighted work described.
capcha

Download Presentation

Sickle Cell Disease

An Image/Link below is provided (as is) to download presentation

Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - E N D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Presentation Transcript


Sickle cell disease
Sickle Cell Disease

Blaze Mowatt

SBI 3U


Definition

http://www.unm.edu/~mpachman/Blood/sicle.htm

Definition

  • Disorder of the red blood cells that carry oxygen to body tissue

  • Normal red blood cells are round and soft

  • Sickled red blood cells are hard, sticky and crescent shaped, and stick together in the blood stream

  • This causes clogging of blood vessels which limits oxygen to the different parts of the body


Sickle cell disease

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/trite001/studyinghumananatomyandphysiology/2008/02/http://blog.lib.umn.edu/trite001/studyinghumananatomyandphysiology/2008/02/

http://www.utdallas.edu/news/2008/10/14-003.php

http://www2.med.umich.edu/prmc/media/newsroom/details.cfm?ID=656

http://www.umm.edu/imagepages/1212.htm


Where and how many
Where and How Many?http://blog.lib.umn.edu/trite001/studyinghumananatomyandphysiology/2008/02/

  • Sickle cell disease can affect anyone

  • Common in certain regions around the world

  • This is because the disease is passed on through inheritance

  • Affects 70000 people in the United States and millions others around the world


Sickle cell disease

https://sharepoint.cisat.jmu.edu/isat/klevicca/Web/Sickle_Cell/web%20sickle/history.htmlhttps://sharepoint.cisat.jmu.edu/isat/klevicca/Web/Sickle_Cell/web%20sickle/history.html


History
Historyhttps://sharepoint.cisat.jmu.edu/isat/klevicca/Web/Sickle_Cell/web%20sickle/history.html

http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/projects/cases/sickle_cell1.html


Causes
Causeshttps://sharepoint.cisat.jmu.edu/isat/klevicca/Web/Sickle_Cell/web%20sickle/history.html

  • Caused by a genetic mistake which causes hemoglobin to be made abnormal

  • Hemoglobin allows red blood cells to take oxygen from lungs to other cells and carbon dioxide back to the lungs

  • Passed on through parents only, through a pair of genes that are recessive


Sickle cell disease

http://www.umm.edu/imagepages/19510.htmhttps://sharepoint.cisat.jmu.edu/isat/klevicca/Web/Sickle_Cell/web%20sickle/history.html

http://www.bio.davidson.edu/Courses/Molbio/MolStudents/spring2005/Heiner/hemoglobin.html

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/disorders/whataregd/sicklecell/


Sickle cell disease

• Gene is recessivehttps://sharepoint.cisat.jmu.edu/isat/klevicca/Web/Sickle_Cell/web%20sickle/history.html

• If both parents have trait, there is a 25% chance to get sickle cell disease, a 25% not to have the trait or disease and a 50% chance to have just the trait.

http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/AdviceFromDoctors/YourChildsHealth/sicklecelldisease/chart


Effects and symptoms
Effects and Symptomshttps://sharepoint.cisat.jmu.edu/isat/klevicca/Web/Sickle_Cell/web%20sickle/history.html

  • Due to the lack of the oxygen, sickle cell disease causes weakness, fatigue, dizziness and breathlessness

  • Organs have chance of becoming permanently damaged or just failing altogether

  • Infected experience crisises which are occurrences of extreme pain due to lack of oxygen reaching different parts of the body due to sickled cells


Diagnosis
Diagnosishttps://sharepoint.cisat.jmu.edu/isat/klevicca/Web/Sickle_Cell/web%20sickle/history.html

  • In last 30 years, overall awareness for sickle cell disease has increased

  • Through blood tests, can be diagnosed as to whether you have the disease, trait or nothing

  • Very important that babies/children be diagnosed early to avoid the effects of the disease


Treatment
Treatmenthttps://sharepoint.cisat.jmu.edu/isat/klevicca/Web/Sickle_Cell/web%20sickle/history.html

  • Only cure for sickle cell disease is a bone marrow transplant which is very risky

  • Many ways to ease and reduce pain that is caused from crises such as changing the way of living

  • The drug hydruxorea is an effective method of reducing the sickling of the blood


Sickle cell disease

VIDEO:https://sharepoint.cisat.jmu.edu/isat/klevicca/Web/Sickle_Cell/web%20sickle/history.html

http://video.about.com/rarediseases/Sickle-Cell-Disease.htm


Future outlook and research
Future Outlook and Researchhttps://sharepoint.cisat.jmu.edu/isat/klevicca/Web/Sickle_Cell/web%20sickle/history.html

  • The future hope for sickle cell disease is gene therapy

  • Researchers attempting to cure disease by fixing defective gene and inserting into bone marrow of patient

https://my.mcg.edu/portal/page/portal/News/archive/2005/Stroke%20risk%20returns%20when%20children%20with%20sickle%20cell%20disease%20s

http://www.emory.edu/EMORY_MAGAZINE/2008/winter/sickle.html


ad
  • Login