1781-1789. ARTICLES OF CONFEDERATION. When? . 1781 to 1789 Middle of the Revolutionary War (1775-1783) the first constitution of the United States was constructed. . Why?.
ARTICLES OF CONFEDERATION
The first move in a surprise attack against the Hessian forces at Trenton, New Jersey in the Battle of Trenton.
1. Weak central government; Unicameral (one house)
2. Each state only had one vote
3. 9 states needed to pass any law
4. All 13 colonies needed to agree to change Articles
5. No executive branch (no president)
6. Congress could not levy taxes
7. Congress could not raise an army
10. States could negotiate separate with
foreign nations and Indians
11. No national court system to settle disputes