Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Obesity Dianne Bourgeois
2. Definition of Obesity More than average fatness, an incumberance of flesh
Having a BMI of 30 or greater
3. Body Mass Index The BMI, or body mass index, is the most widely used way to measure obesity.
BMI = Weight (kg) / Height (m2)
Body composition is not taken into account when BMI is measured.
4. Obesity Graph
5. Ways to Control Obesity Exercise
6. Ways to Control Obesity Exercise
At least 30 minutes of aerobic activity, three times a week
Consult physician to compose a proper diet plan
Xenical and Meridia
7. Ways to Control Obesity Over the Counter Drugs
Dexatrim, Metabolife, Evolution
Vertical Banded Gastroplasty
Roux-en-Y Divided Gastric Bypass (RYDGB)
8. Vertical Banded Gastroplasty Stomach stapling
Reduces size of stomach
Small amount of food makes one feel full
Considered a last resort
9. Roux-en-Y Divided Gastric Bypass Separates stomach into two parts, upper and lower
Upper holds food
Lower is non-functional except for secretion of gastric fluids
10. Early Potential Complications Respiratory problems
11. Late Potential Complications Weight gain
12. Eating Habits Eat slowly and chew foods well
No liquids 30 minutes prior to eating
When snacking, eat only carrots, cabbage, cucumbers, celery and cauliflower
To loosen any obstructing food, dissolve 1 tsp meat tenderizer in glass of water and drink
13. Results Most patients lose 10 lbs in the hospital
15-20 lbs in the first weeks
25-30 lbs in the first 6 weeks
10-12 lbs each month thereafter
14. Before and After
15. Before and After
16. Before and After
18. References http://www.obesesurgery.com
Atkinson, Richard L. (Nov 1998). Guidelines for the initiation of obesity treatment. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. Vol 9, p. 546-552.
Adami, Gian Franco. (March 1999). Body image. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. Vol 46, p. 275-281.
Nehoda, Hermann. (Jan 2001). Results and Complications gastric banding. The American Journal of Surgery. Vol 181, p. 12-15.
Nguyen, Ninh T. (Aug 2000). Comparison Study. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. Vol 191, p.149-155
Rand,Colleen. (Dec 1994). Adolescents Having Obesity Surgery. Southern Medical Journal. Vol 87, p1208-1213.