Language learning Lesson 1. Get ahead with your English. Step 1.Pair work. Do you think learning English is important for your future ? Why ? Do you think it is difficult to learn English well ? Why or why not ?. Step 2. Talk about your English learning strategy:.
Language learningLesson 1
Get ahead with your English
Step 2. Talk about your English learning strategy:
P. 17. What do you think can help you learn English well ?
* Difficult sentences:
1. I do remember that one day my English teacher said that my pronunciation and intonation were quite good.
2. Then I realize that this may be due to my imitation.
3.I think (that) by imitating, I get not only beautiful pronunciation and intonation, but also a kind of “feeling” for English.
4. come across sb/ sth
= find or meet by chance
5. But I was so involved in the story that I didn’t want to stop to check its meaning.
6.By doing this, my guessing ability improves and moreover, my reading speed increases !
7.The secret here is that the pictures that go with an article are usually closely related to the content of the article.
8. It’s a good way to get the gist of an article in a short time.
get the gist of sth: get the main points of sth
Step 3. New words learning:
*Match the definition:
3. Putting full-stops, commas, etc into a piece of writing.
4. The quality of being able to speak smoothly or readily:
5. Information produced from sth, (a computer):
6. What is put in:
Step 4. Which of the following methods do you think is the best for learning a foreign language ?
Step 5. Read the text, and check your understanding:
* Talk about the main idea of each paragraph.
Step 6. Read the text and find noun clauses and difficult sentences in the text:
Step 7. Language points:
It was predicted as early as 1700s that …
That has proved to be the case…
Being able to … is how you stand out
and get ahead.
Some respected theories… believe that…
But sadly, the chances that …
What this means is that…
Here are what they recommend:
To stay dedicated, you need to keep in mind why you are learning English.
The first paragraph:
1. Sth prove(s) to be …谋事被证明是．．．
The weather proves\ turns out to be fine.
2. Start the trend for sth \ doing sth :
3. stand out : 突出；显眼
4. get ahead of sb:领先…
get ahead with/at /in sth …取得成功,
The second paragraph:
1. In the absence of….:
= lack of ….
In the absence
* ______________ of any evidence, the police had let Mike go.
2. The chances that…… are small/big.
The chance that…..is small/big.
3. rely on sth/sb
tell sb sth
*The training programme __________
_______ a series of workshops研讨会.
The fourth paragraph:
1.To get ahead means putting in extra work outside of the classroom.
2. 15 minutes of extra-curricula study a day.
tell sb sth
=devote …. to….
learn sth by heart
holds the key to
hold the key to
* There is no point (in ) doing sth.
= It is no use doing sth.
^ There is no point in getting angry.
Voice your opinion
Can you predict new uses for mobile phones? What new features could be added?
As a high school student, do you think it’s necessary for you to have mobile phones, why?