Mass Communication. The Globalization of the Music Industry. roberto avant-mier. Brief Overview. TERMS : Global Entertainment Industry; Transnationals;Concentration; Integration; Diversification; Synergy. QUESTIONS (p. 5):
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
The Globalization of the
1. What are the driving forces behind media expansion and concentration?
2. What does media concentration mean for diversity and innovation of media content?
3. Can there be room for cultural and musical diversity in these times of instant access digital technologies dedicated to pumping the same sounds and images across the entire Western popular culture market?
The inter-organizational creation and release of performances (narrative or non-narrative, recorded or live) to attract audiences for financial profit rather than for explicitly educational, journalistic, political or advertising goals (Turrow in Burnett, 1996).
The “Big Six” now account for over 90% of U.S. sales and an estimated 70-80% of world wide sales.
(Promotion, advertising, etc.)
1. Radio Playlists - MTV does the same!
2. BackStreet Boys/’N Sync/98 Degrees? (Boy Bands)
3. Only in Pop Music? - What about “Rock-Rap” or “Hip -Rock?” 311-Korn-Sugar Ray-Limp Bizkit-Kid Rock.
4. What about “pure” Rock - Metallica as an example
Advantage: White kids exposed to black music - future harmony?
Advantage: Transculturation (white kids adopting the “Other’s” forms of music)
Disadvantage: Perpetuation of racial stereotypes?
Advantage: p. 115 - 116 (variety and diversity?)
Disadvantage: “false-variety” and “pseudo-diversity”
Examples: Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias, Mark Anthony, Lou Bega and Mambo #5?
- The Music industry and various Media as the vehicles through which music as Mass Communication takes place.
- (Terms): Concentration, Diversification, etc.
- The implications of it all, and how it affects you and me.
- The advantages and disadvantages.