Unit 5. Can You Raise a Polite Kid in This Rude World?. 孟母三迁. Discussion. Discuss the relationship between children and their environment with regard to their personal development.
Can You Raise a Polite Kid in This Rude World?
Marta rolled her eyes as Will started to tell another stupid joke.
When he suggested they should buy a new car, she rolled her eyes in disbelief.
She rolled her eyes in disbelief at his suggestion that they should buy a new car.
When they recalled a little hellion, most people rolled their eyes.
He felt disappointed whenever he thought that I wouldn't go with him.
He felt disappointed at the thought that I wouldn’t go with him.
He couldn’t help being proud at the sight of the prize he had won.
He flew into rage when I suggested that he give up his plan.
He flew into rage at my suggestion of his giving up his plan.
listened to the speaker with rapt admiration.
There was a rapt look on his face whenever he looked at his sweetheart.
She sat with a rapt expression reading her book.
I haven’t been following the conversation with rapt attention.
There are facilities for cooking in the kitchen.
Are there washing facilities in the school?
He has great facility in learning languages.
Her facility with / in languages is surprising.
He showed great facility in performing task.
He was seemingly untroubled by the recent problems.
They were seemingly unaware of the decision.
In his final days, he was consumed with lung disease.
I was consumed with the assignment given to me by my boss.
He was consumed with guilt after theaccident.
The assault on manners doesn’t just come in the form of comic relief. Witness the abominable display last September of Baltimore Orioles second baseman Roberto Alomar, who spat in the face of umpire John Hirschbeck before millions of fans.
A judge is one capable of making rational, dispassionate, and wise decisions
An arbitrator works to settle controversies and is either appointed or derives authority from the consent of the disputants, who choose him or her or approve the selection.
An arbiter is one who may or may not have official status but whose opinion or judgment is recognized as being unassailable or binding.
A referee is an attorney appointed by a court to make a determination of a case or to investigate and report on it
An umpire is a person appointed to settle an issue that arbitrators are unable to resolve. In sports referee and umpire refer to officials who enforce the rules and settle points at issue.
The critic’s assessment of the book is that it is beautifully written.
This is an interesting assessment of Mark Twain’s importance in American literature.
Many parents seem to have adopted the attitude “My child, right or wrong” —with devastating results.
Many parents believe that their child is always right, and that usually leads to terrible results.
Parents who can’t accept when their child isn’t No. 1 send the message that when you’re frustrated, you blame the source of frustration instead of looking for a way to cope.
When parents find that their child loses, they often tell their child to blame the person who caused the loss, but not to help the child o find a way out.
prompt: cause to tell (someone) to say or do sth.
The accident prompted her to renew her insurance
The recent worries over the president’s health have prompted speculation over his political future.
Most parents have said these things to their children. They’re meant to correct behavior.
What does “They” refer to?
Because rude behavior in children is more often the result of thoughtlessness than of deliberate aggression. Criticism, name-calling and orders only make a child angry and defensive. They reinforce the notion that the child is incapable of good behavior without coercion.
What does “They” refer to?
Criticism, name-calling and orders
It is impolite to put the elbows on the table while having a meal. What other table manners do you know in the West?
Tell us some Chinese table manners.
1. It is not our desire to be comic relief. Witness the abominable, but the status quo cannot continue. Neither can the present standoff, without the danger of a more serious confrontation that nobody wants.
2. Like all derivatives, they function, essentially, as bets n the direction of particular markets. So coveted is such insurance that the total face amount – or “ value ” – of swaps and similar contracts has soared to an astronomical $11 trillion.
3. Annoyed, shareholders have moved to n the direction of particular markets. So coveted is such insurance that the total face amount – or “
such abuses – just as they have moved to remove a number of CEOs in recent months.
4. The day was star-crossed, Friday, the 13 n the direction of particular markets. So coveted is such insurance that the total face amount – or “ th in the month of October, on the eve of the second anniversary of a market crash.
5. In a(n) n the direction of particular markets. So coveted is such insurance that the total face amount – or “ demonstration of the mistreatment of recruits and their meager food rations, in March 1993 four sailors on Russky Island in the Far East died of malnutrition.
6. Even more interesting, from a business n the direction of particular markets. So coveted is such insurance that the total face amount – or “ , is the so-called intranet – the collection of networks that connect computers within corporations – that both Sun and Microsoft have targeted as a rich area for growth.
7. She was at times less successful winning over her n the direction of particular markets. So coveted is such insurance that the total face amount – or “ at the U.N., who, like Napoleon’s army, ravels on its stomach.
8. Members of the NASA-led team arrived in Washington fully prepared to enter
9. Finally some officers arrived prepared to enter
and the explosive situation, and just a handful of the lives that went up in that particular bonfire were saved.
becomes when his efforts appear to produce less obvious results.
expose A to B: 将 A 暴露给 B
an instrument to expose comparative social codes and standards of morality: 揭示对方社会准则和道德标准的工具
wallets and purses: 钱包
They are more concerned about the kid’s academic achievement
Crowdedness with such a large population
Peaceful competition for continuous development