Technology!. The Cell Phone and You! By: Justin Deng. Welcome!.
The Cell Phone and You!
By: Justin Deng
One of the most profitable and best-selling items!
They are a necessity! Almost like owning music or a TV
They are cheap
Mobile and easy to use!
The Motorola DynaTAC (right) was the first commercially available cell phone in 1983.
Had a battery life of 30 minutes, and its cost was$4,000.
(We’ve come a long way, haven't we?)
How Do These Devices Relate to the Past?
- During the 1830s, Samuel Morse proves signals could be transmitted through wires.
- Morse later developed a telegraph that translated the signals into dots and dashes
- Invention of the telegraph sparks intercontinental communication and competition from the telephone.
- Technologies today build up on the core functions of devices of the past: communication with others over long distances.
These statistics are bit old, so the numbers may have increased in the last few years!
- Better business practices
- Accessibility of information
- Competence in communications
- Political and social union
- Youth and new culture
What caused the boom/attraction to cell phones?
Accessibility: Easy to use, cheap to buy!
Individuality, status, and confidence: Keep in touch with people
Empowerment: Our own private device. No one can tell us what to do with it!
Freedom: We can take our phones anywhere and do anything!
Entertainment: Movies, books, pictures, and more can all be loaded and viewed!
New and improved business
Teens are prone to disrupted sleep, restlessness, stress, and fatigue.
Slower response times
Exposure to radiation from cell phones increases risk of some cancers (contentious statement)
(Added for dramatic effect)