The New 'SuperScience' Centre Concept. November 29, 2007 Jeff Stewart, Science Director. Canadian Agriculture. $100B contribution to GDP i.e. 8% of GDP
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
November 29, 2007
Jeff Stewart, Science Director
AAFC Research Facilities
AAFC Research Sites
Public good science
Regulatory-related research activities
AAFC reviewed all research projects via an external peer review process aimed at:
3. AAFC staff and facilities on a University campus -- Saskatoon, Ste-Foy, Winnipeg, Agassiz, Ste-Boniface
4. Shared AAFC and OGDs facilities and staff on a University campus. -- Institute for Nutrition and Health (Charlottetown)
5. AAFC staff and facilities working with university and/or private companies -- Matching Investment Initiative (MII).
Winnipeg Research Center
200 AAFC staff on Campus of
the Univ of Manitoba
Agricultural Biomass Innovation Program (ABIP)
Virtual “institutes” that do not focus on the physical location of facilities or expertise but on the coordination of research activities with the aim of using the best expertise in Canada for the development of a sector.
ABIP ($145M over 5 years) creates networks of private, AAFC, OGDs and academic organizations that can work on the same project. Less emphasis is put on facilities, but more on coordinating research across organizations to deliver new ideas and new knowledge.
7. Tapping into capacity outside government
- AAFC is in discussion with the academic sector about fulllfiling a research mandate in response to gaps in research capacity. Specific deliverables and heightened accountability are expected. The call for bids could be extended to private organizations in some sectors.
PRE-ADOPTION / PRE-COMMERCIALIZATION
Canadian Grain Commission
University of Manitoba and the Richardson Centre
CWB (funding partner)