Group IV Project: Geoengineering. Jens Yukari Hoyong Seika. Geoengineering. Geoengineering means different things to different people Reduce the amount of climate change produced by the greenhouse gasses that increases. (CO2, methane and nitrogen oxide)
Group IV Project: Geoengineering
CO2 removal (CDR)
Cleaning atmosphere by removing CO2 from it.
planting trees (sucks CO2)
developing technologies to capture and store CO2 emissions by power plants
ocean iron fertilization- adding iron to ocean water to increase phytoplankton plants
more direct approach in trying to solve global warming
Not fast enough if the goal is to reduce global temperature
Focused on either CO2 removal or SRM. These both aim at reducing global warming which is a term used for the increase in the average temperature of the earth and the oceans. Global warming can result in rise of sea levels due to melting polar ice an also to more severe storms and weather occurences. This is why geoengineering is considered a climate change solution.
- Less CO2 removal
- Do we have the rights to control climate?
To investigate the absorption and reflection rate for plastic PET bottles painted black and white to model the “cool roof” technique used for Solar Radiation Management, one of the proposed strategies ofgeoengineering
1. Take two plastic pet bottles
2. Paint one of the containers black and the other white
3. Put the two containers outside in the SHADE, and leave for 10 minutes
4. Put a thermometer inside each of the containers, record their temperatures (this is the initial temperature)
5. Move them into the sunlight (or under bright light but preferably sunlight)
6. Record their temperature at 1 minute intervals for 5 minutes
7. Compare the temperature for the two containers