TAOISM. - Taoism is one of the great religions of the world. It is an Eastern religion/philosophy with perhaps 225 million followers. Taoism is much like the history and culture of China. I t remains strong and pertinent to the world today. Taoism. The History of Taoism.
- The time from antiquity up to the 2nd century C.E.
-The classical Taoist religion
-starts in 142 C.E.
-By Zhang Taoling established the Way of the Celestial Masters
- The Song Dynasty (960-1279)
- During which time the boundaries between elite Taoist religion, Buddhism, and local cults
- Since 1949
- During the period of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution (1966-1976)
- Since 1980 had a new generation of Taoism in China.
1) The Way of Ultimate Reality
2) The Way of the Universe
3) The Way of Human Life is actualized when human beings mesh with the Tao in the first and second sense.
Three Taoism have existed in China. Like "Way", there are three meanings of
1.Taoists often focus on harmony with the Tao in this life not what happens in the next life.
2. Some Taoists deny an afterlife or are agnostic about it.
3. Those who follow more religious aspects of Taoism sometimes believe that the soul of a person can go to a heaven or a hell.
4. Taoists do not believe in the "Wheel of Life" as Buddhists do, nor do they believe in the Christian idea of Heaven and Hell.
Phuket Shrine (Khiew Tian kheng ) at Saphanhin