Agenda. What is Engineering Village?Setting up a personal accountHow to search Engineering VillageHow to use search results intelligentlyHow to use the Ei Thesaurus. About Engineering Village. www.engineeringvillage.comEngineering Village is a discovery platform where researchers can search multiple databases containing a range of reliable sources:Premium bibliographic databasesReference databasesPatent databasesEngineering news and more.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
1. Advanced Searching Engineering Village
3. About Engineering Village
4. Getting Started: Personal Account Use Personal Account to :
Set up e-mail and RSS alerts
Save records and searches
5. Quick Search
6. Expert Search
7. Managing search results
8. Too Many Results? Limit by field, document type, treatment type, publication years, language, etc.
Check thesaurus – try narrower terms
Try autostemming off
Truncate with care
Cat*? cat, catalyst, catapults, caterpillar, etc.
Use boolean connector
Quickly and easily refine searches using facets
9. Faceted Search Results Facets include:
Database (when searching multiple)
10. Including & Excluding Terms from Facets Including Terms
11. Not enough results? Click thesaurus for broader terms, synonyms, term variations, irregular forms, etc.
Link via Fi main headings or classification codes
Browse indexes for variants of author names, etc.
Turn autostemming on
Use truncation ( * ) for simple plurals
“Quick and dirty” search for a few good articles; they scan indexing for subject headings
Use Boolean correctors
12. The Ei Thesaurus Records on Engineering Village are indexed according to the Ei Thesaurus controlled vocabulary.
The thesaurus is updated annually, so it includes the most current terminology available. Also, since the thesauri have evolved over time, this function can be used to trace the usage of controlled terms.
The thesaurus function allows you to identify controlled vocabulary terms, find synonyms and related terms and improve your search strategy with suggested and narrower terms.
15. Other features In addition to the features reviewed today, Engineering Village offers:
Expert searching with Boolean Operators
Saved record folders
Linking to OpenURL resolvers
Linking to document delivery services
Ask an expert
16. RSS (Really Simple Syndication) What is RSS?
An XML format for distributing content on the internet
Also known as syndication
Why is RSS Important?
Content is delivered to the reader as it is updated
Better focus on the content by avoiding distractions such as pop-up advertisements and e-mail spam
Set up alerts so you’re notified any time a new record that fits your search criteria is added to the database
17. RSS (Really Simple Syndication)
18. RSS Feed From Engineering Village
19. RSS delivered to your reader
20. Blog This Link from a blog to a record of interest on Engineering Village
Create current awareness by highlighting new publications in a popular subject area
Create a forum from which to collaborate with colleagues in your area of research
Share information with an audience outside your organization
21. Blog This
22. Blog a Record
23. Create Groups Share records with a group, your institution, or the entire Engineering Village community
24. Tag Records Search other users’ tags to gain new perspectives
Tag records with keywords for easy retrieval or to share with other users