Journal Clubs Provide the Perfect Duet: A Crescendo of Staff Development and A Prelude to Improved Patient Care. Karen T. Bell, RN, MSN, CNN and Sheri Sauthoff, RN, BSN, CNN. Dialysis Access: Infection Prevention, Cannulation Technique Modification. Journal Clubs. PTH Test Accuracy.
A Crescendo of Staff Development and A Prelude
to Improved Patient Care
Karen T. Bell, RN, MSN, CNN and Sheri Sauthoff, RN, BSN, CNN
Dialysis Access: Infection Prevention, Cannulation Technique Modification
PTH Test Accuracy
Past: Used for teaching and increasing knowledge
Present: Find evidence-based research. Apply research findings to patient care. Improve outcomes
Purpose: Use the peer-reviewed Nephrology Nursing Journal’s ANCC-CNE articles which apply directly to our renal patients
Methods: Search for evidence from the last three years to modify our practice and improve patient outcomes
Outcomes: With CNS/Educator as mentor, 15 Journal Clubs were presented by staff nurses who were primarily responsible for initiating practice changes, peer education and data collection
IV Iron and Anemia Management
Articles:“Pictures and Perspectives: A Unique Perspective on Intradialytic Weight Gain”1 and “Dialysis Staff Encouragement and Fluid Control Adherence in Patients on Hemodialysis (HD)”2
Results:Revision and increased use of a patient education tool for managing fluid intake specific to the HD patient
1. Sinclair & Parker (2009) Nephrology Nursing Journal, 36(6), 589-597.
2. Yokoyama,et al (2009) Nephrology NursingJournal, 36(3), 2289-297.
3. Ball (2010) Nephrology Nursing Journal, 37(5), 473-478.
4. Birchenough,et al (2010) Nephrology Nursing Journal 37(5), 491-499.
5. Deaver,K (2010) Nephrology Nursing Journal 37(5), 503-506.
6. Bakke (2011) Nephrology Nursing Journal 37(6), 601-616.
7. Johnson,et al(2007) Nephrology Nursing Journal 34(2), 206-213.
8. Thompson & Schiller (2009) Hemodialysis International 13, 543-546.
We acknowledge our Journal Club presenters: Neil Bagamasbad, BSN; Sigrid Bressler, BSN; Reynold Dilag, BSN; Mary Ann Isales, BSN; Melissa Nasser, BSN; Beth Overbey, BSN; Maggie Quinn, BSN; Josh Tiongson, BSN; Cecil Villanueva, BSN, Vickylyn Yambao, BSN