Values in U.S. Society Robin Williams (1965) . Achievement and success: high value on personal achievement – getting ahead at work, attaining wealth, power and prestige Individualism: success that comes from individual effort and initiative.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Achievement and success: high value on personal achievement – getting ahead at work, attaining wealth, power and prestige
Individualism: success that comes from individual effort and initiative
3. Activity and work: hard at work – busy with activities when not at work – becoming less important
4. Efficiency and practicality: Americans consider it important to do things fast and constantly seek changes to increase efficiency
5. Science and technology: to control nature – tame rivers, harness winds –develop new technology
6. Progress: “more and better“ gadgets that will help move towards progress
7. Material comfort: nutrition, medical care, and housing etc.
8. humanitarianism: helpfulness, personal kindness, aid in mass disasters
9. freedom: core value of U.S.
10. democracy: majority rule, the right of everyone to express an opinion, representative government
11. equality: plays a central role in American lives move towards progress
12. Racism and group superiority: contradicts freedom, democracy, and equality…Americans value some groups more than others and have done so throughout our history
13. education: go as far as you can – higher education is considered appropriate
14. Religiosity: “every true American ought to be religious” – all should acknowledge a belief in a Supreme Being
15. Romantic love: Americans feel that the only proper basis for marriage is romantic love. Songs, literature, mass media, and “folk beliefs” all stress this value. “love conquers all”