Team JHK. Project TIC. Personnel. Supreme Commander Jarrod Marsh. Personnel. Mistress of Money, Transactions, and Work No One Else Wants to Do Hallie Baer. Personnel. Minister of Paperwork, Bureaucratic Nonsense, and Design Review Koren Smith. PDR Presentation. Team JHK
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Mistress of Money, Transactions, and Work No One Else Wants to Do
Minister of Paperwork, Bureaucratic Nonsense, and Design Review
February 27, 2003
Our goal is to learn if IR radiation is dependent on temperature or altitude in the upper atmosphere. We are also going to study temperature as a function of altitude during ascent.
The payload will be constructed out of a BASIC Stamp and be connected to an infrared sensor and a thermistor. The sensors will be interfaced to the BASIC Stamp through an ADC channel. A timing chip will also be included to coordinate the data with GPS data taken by the balloon systems. There will be a camera facing the side of the box that will take pictures at certain intervals.
The first step will be to design the circuitry for the sensors and chips. While waiting for the parts to be delivered over the next several weeks, we will finish mounting all the basic components of the circuit. When the ADC, RTC, and sensors arrive, we will begin testing with an oscilloscope before we mount the chips. The final test will to suspend the payload above a surface and determine if the readings taken match the actual data.
The payload will be launched and tracked from the ground. Upon recovery the EEPROM will be downloaded and the data converted to temperatures and light intensities to determine if a correlation exists between the two.
Memory Chip 50g
Warming Device 100g
Total Weight 575g
Temperature and IR light intensity will be measured every ten seconds during the flight. All data will be stored on board and recovered with the payload. Software needs to be developed to convert voltages from the sensors to temperature and IR light intensity.
Still waiting on specs for some parts
ItemEstimated CostInfrared Sensor$200 Thermistor $20Digital Camera $40 Warming Device $20 Memory Chip $20 ADC Chip $5
PDR2 daysMon 2/24/03Tue 2/25/03
Build PDR Presentation3 daysTue 2/25/03Thu 2/27/03
PDR Presentation0 daysThu 2/27/03Thu 2/27/03
Mardi Gras Break
Begin Construction Design5 daysMon 3/3/03Fri 3/7/03
Receive and Install Sensors5 daysMon 3/10/03Fri 3/14/03
Install Power/ Begin Testing5 daysMon 3/17/03Fri 3/21/03
Work on CDR4 daysMon 3/24/03Thu 3/27/03
CDR Due0 daysThu 3/27/03Thu 3/27/03
Work on Interface5 daysMon 3/31/03Fri 4/4/03
Testing/ Begin Calibration5 daysMon 4/7/03Fri 4/11/03
Construction of Box5 daysMon 4/14/03Fri 4/18/03
Begin Preparation for Flight5 daysMon 4/21/03Fri 4/25/03
Work on FRR4 daysMon 4/28/03Thu 5/1/03
FRR Due0 daysThu 5/1/03Thu 5/1/03
Preparation for flight5 daysMon 5/5/03Fri 5/9/03
Final Exams5 daysMon 5/12/03Fri 5/16/03
Flight Operations5 daysMon 5/19/03Fri 5/23/03
1. Online Source: National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (NIWA), February 16, 2003, http://www.niwa.co.nz/edu/students/faq/layers
2. Online Source: Online Journey through Astronomy, February 16, 2003, http://csep10/phys/utk/edu/astr161/lect/earth/atmosphere.html
3. Online Source: NASA Website, February 16, 2003, http://liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov/academy/space/atmosphere/html
4. Online Source: Earth Zone Website: Absorption, Radiation, & Greenhouse, February 23, 2003, http://184.108.40.206/earthzone/lessons/07meteor/greenhouse.html
5. Online Source: University of Chicago, February 23, 2003, http://geosci.uchicago.edu/~archer/EnvChem/Labs/modtran.lite.html
6. Online Source: Caltech University, February 23, 2003, http://www.ipac.caltech.edu/Outreach/Edu/infrared.html
7. Online Source: Seiko Instruments, February 23, 2003, http://www.sih.com.hk.html
8. Catalog Source: Edmund Industrial Optics, Optics and Optical Instruments Catalog, 2002, p. 191
Online Source: US Sensor Corporation, February 23, 2003, http://www.ussensor.com/products/precintr.html
Thanks to the JHK team for putting up with me…