Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be sold or licensed nor shared on other sites. SlideServe reserves the right to change this policy at anytime. While downloading, If for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
2. Reminder: Definition of Metaphor A metaphor is a writing strategy
In a metaphor, something represents something it would not usually represent
Metaphors DO NOT use the words ?like? or ?as.? Similes DO use those words.
3. Metaphor skills check Which of these is a metaphor? (Please raise your hand when you know the answer, do not blurt it out.)
The goalkeeper was steady as a rock.
All the world?s a stage.
The phone rang as a dog barked outside.
It was as easy as taking candy from a baby.
4. A New Kind of Metaphor We have been talking about metaphors at the sentence level. Now we are going to look at metaphors at a story level.
Fictional objects or characters are used to represent real-life things.
These representations usually have a specific message or lesson to convey.
5. For Example? My brother is a busy beaver. Once upon a time, there was a beaver who had no home for the winter. He worked very, very hard to build a dam. That winter he was warm and cozy while other animals were outside in the cold.
6. Metaphors in The Three Little Pigs House of sticks/straw
House of brick
7. Your Metaphor Mission Fill out the heading on your worksheet with both partner?s names.
Write ?Metaphors in [Your story]? as your title.
Read your story together.
Discuss the story with your group.
Take turns writing your answers on your worksheet.
You will turn in ONE worksheet for your group. As a group:
Pick out three characters, objects or events in the story.
Identify what they could stand for (like we did for the Three Little Pigs)
Write down the message that they tell
Stack your group?s papers and put the pile at the front of your table.
Take out your copy of Briar Rose.