Technical Assistance and Capacity Building Activities: Philippine Setting. By: GILBERTO F. LAYESE Director, Bureau of Agriculture and Fisheries Product Standards Department of Agriculture, Philippines. Philippine SPS Thrust.
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Technical Assistance and Capacity Building Activities: Philippine Setting
GILBERTO F. LAYESE
Director, Bureau of Agriculture and Fisheries Product Standards
Department of Agriculture, Philippines
Philippine SPS Thrust
Regulatory Agencies in the Philippines Concerned in Ensuring Food, Plant and Animal Safety
Current Technical Assistance and Capacity Building Activities
Illustrative List of TechnicalAssistance Provided to the Philippines
1. Resources needed for obligations and rights
- The limited resources of developing countries restrict them in meeting the requirements and to take full advantage of their rights and market access.
- It also limits developing countries in participating efficiently in the setting of internationalstandards.
- Some importing and developed countries are employing standards that are more stringent than the set standards in the domestic markets as well as the prevailing international standards.
3. Domestic infrastructure
- The lack of administrative and legislative coordination pose tremendous drawbacks in the capabilities of the developing countries to comply with SPS measures.
In the SPS Committee, in international standard-
setting organizations and relevant fora, should
remain as one of the major goals in designing
and implementing technical assistance and
capacity building programmes. In relation to
this, support should be given to the establish-
ment of a trust fund by FAO/WHO to encourage
developing countries to actively participate
in Codex meetings.