Uniform Complaint Procedures. Categorical Programs Complaints Management (CPCM) Unit School and District Accountability Division. California Department of Education. UCP Workshop Overview. Welcome Introductions Powerpoint presentation Materials Guided practice.
Categorical Programs Complaints Management (CPCM) Unit
School and District
California Department of Education
- Fails or refuses to follow provisions for free, appropriate, public education
- Fails to comply with due process procedures
Sex National origin
Sexual orientation Religion
Ethnic identification Mental disability
Race Physical disability
- Department of Social Services
- Local Education Agency
- U.S. Secretary of Agriculture
- U.S. Dept of Agriculture, West Region
- Dept of Fair Employment and Housing
- Office for Civil Rights
Who can file?
Any person, public agency, or organization is eligible to file.
Distribute annual notification regarding the local procedures to:
Other interested parties
If the local decision is appealed, CDE will review the appeal and may request the district to provide the following information:
CDE WILL REFER all correspondence to the local
agency if the complaint
with the local agency.
CDE will interfere if:
CDE will interfere if:
Mediation involves the following elements:
An investigative report contains the following information:
- Federal programs
4U. S. Dept. of Education
Adult EducationJean Scott
Career Technical Education Al Tweltridge
Child DevelopmentTerry Miller
Consolidated Categorical Aid ProgramsCategorical Programs Complaints Management Unit
Indian EducationManuel Alfaro
Migrant EducationManuel Alfaro
Nutrition ServicesEva Lopez-Contreras
Special EducationProcedural Safeguards
and Referral Services Unit
Nondiscrimination RequirementsSharon Felix-Rochon
and Civil Rights Protections, Office of Equal Opportunity
Categorical Programs Complaints Management Unit
Kathleen Seabourne, Manager
Stephanie Papas, Education Programs Consultant
Dr. Jacqueline Brownlee, Education Programs Consultant
Judy Reichle, Education Programs Consultant
Charlotte Keuscher-Barkman, Education Programs Consultant
Sally Lewis, Analyst
Glenda Heath, Office Technician
916 – 319 – 0929
Uniform Complaint Procedures Checklist
- Evidence of compliance with required provisions of local policy and procedure
- Evidence of compliance with annual notification requirements
- Evidence of proper implementation of the mediation or investigation process
1. A statement of purpose regarding compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
2. Includes all relevant programs implemented in the district and civil rights protections regarding ancestry, color, ethnic group identification, national origin, mental and/or physical disability, race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation.
If you would like to view this information again, please visit our Web site at:
If you do not have access to the Internet, please refer to the printed workshop materials.