RETHINKING HIGH SCHOOL. CHANGING HIGH SCHOOLS CHANGING HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS. WHAT’S WRONG WITH HIGH SCHOOLS?. Same ol’ same ol’ Industrial model/agrarian calendar pigeonhole schedule Too much emphasis on tests 14year-olds taught the same as 18 year-olds Requirements completed by grade 11
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
CHANGING HIGH SCHOOLS CHANGING HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
1. Achieving mature relations with age-mates of both sexes;
2. Achieving a masculine or feminine identity;
3. Accepting one’s body;
4. Achieving emotional independence
5. Selecting & preparing for career;
6. Achieving financial independence;
7. Preparing for marriage & family life
8. Socially responsible behavior
9. Ethics & set of values.
56% school performance 22% my parents might divorce
53% looks 21% I may die soon
48% others like me 19% sexual abuse
47% one parent might die 18% trouble from friends
45% how I’m treated by friends
38% societal ills 15% parent’s drinking
36% violence at school 12% getting beat up at school
35% I might lose a friend 11% I might kill myself
30% might not get a good job
26% body normality
25% US nuked
2. The tyranny of low expectations leads to lost chances;
3. Each part of the ed. system seems to operate independently of others;
4. Senior year is a lost opportunityto link students with college or work;
5. Students receive little guidance about opportunities and requirements for work/college;
6. Assessments are ill-timed;
7. Teachers are ill-prepared to do these tasks.The Lost Opportunity of Senior Year:Finding a Better Way (Jan. 2001)
Have we prepared them well to confront life situations?
Have we helped them to consider all their options?
Have we maximized the senior year as our last “crack” at them?
Do we have any idea what we are producing?Some Final Thoughts..
Download this from my website: