Top 10 Best Effective Home Remedies for Cold and Cough for Babies www.wonderparenting.com
Winter is officially here and you need to be extra cautious when you have got a vulnerable little baby to protect. Guard your baby against winter woes with home remedies for cold and cough for babies. Your little one is likely to fall prey to conditions prevalent during this time of the year as his immune system is still developing. But you don’t need to get panic. • Thesehome remedies for cold and cough for babies will keep your baby healthy throughout the season. These are tried and tested home remedies which I personally used to survive the first winter season of my baby. I am still using these home remedies!! These home remedies for cold and cough for babies are also suitable for adults as well.
1. Hygiene • Ensure proper hand hygiene for your whole family. Keep your baby away from everyone suffering from cold and cough. Hygiene is the first step in newborn baby cold home remedies. 2. Appropriate Sleep Posture • If congestion is severe, make sure the head of your child is propped up with pillows.It is one of the best natural cold and cough remedies for kids at night.
3. Drink plenty of liquids • One of the effective home remedies for cold and cough for babies is to take plenty of fluids. Warm fluids are also effective. Adequate rest is must which will soothe your baby’s system. Discourage your child from running around as breathlessness may bring on a coughing fit. • In case your baby catches a fever, you need to consult your pediatrician and give him prescribed medicine. Usually, doctors recommend paracetamol as the safe medication.
4. Honey • Honey is considered to be a better and safer option for children as compared to cough syrups for children which contain alcohol. Do not give honey to babies under the age of 1. It can lead to respiratory failure. • Ayurvedic home remedies for cough and cold for babies suggests the use of honey and turmeric. A single dose of 2.5 ml honey is one of the most advised home remedies for cold and cough for babies over the age of 1 year. • For children above 2 years of age, you can make turmeric and honey paste and give them before bedtime. • Directions: Dry, roast, and powder the turmeric root and add 1 spoon of honey into 2 pinches of this powder and mix well to make a paste.
5. Clear the nostrils • Excess mucus in the nose results in the runny or blocked nose. The mucous membranes lining the nasal passages become inflamed and congested and therefore it blocks the nose. Initially, the secretions produced by the cold virus are clear and runny. By the time the body’s defenses attack the infection.it may become thick and yellow. • Make sure you clear the nostrils by encouraging your child to blow the nose. You can also demonstrate how to clear one nostril first and then the other. Apply petroleum jelly to the outer part of nostrils and top lip if they become chapped or sore. In the case of young babies, you need to take out the excess mucus by gently pressing the nostrils one by one. Clean it with a soft and dry cloth. It is one of the best and natural home remedies for cold and cough for babies.
6. Dress up in layers • Dressing up your baby is one of the most crucial home remedies for cold and cough for babies to keep them warm. • Follow the golden rule – your baby should wear the same number of layers you are wearing plus one. • Thermals and socks should be the first layer. • It should be followed by sweaters, turtlenecks and woolen pajamas or sweatpants. • In extreme cold, add a winter resistant jacket. • Choose breathable fabric while buying winter wear for babies. • To avoid strangulation risk, do not use scarfs.
7. Menthol Rub • Try to apply a menthol rub to the chest and backbone area of your baby in case of severe congestion. It will soothe the respiratory tract from outside.You can also give a light massage to the baby which is again one of the best home remedies for cold and cough for babies. It will make him feel better. • In the case of older children, you can prepare menthol inhalations for them. Dissolve menthol crystals in water and get your child to inhale the vapors. Also, cover his head with a towel to keep the vapors in but allow some space for ventilation too. Make sure they inhale the vapors under your supervision.
8. Quick Lukewarm Bath • Home remedies for cold and cough for babies include a quick bath. Bathe your baby quickly in lukewarm water instead of hot water. Hot water could be extremely tough on your baby’s tender skin. Harsh soaps and hot water baths take away essential oils from your baby’s skin. Similarly, control the use of heaters also as it takes away the skin’s natural moisture. 9. Steam • You can also take your baby in the bathroom and run the hot water tap to make the air damp around you. It is one of the easiest home remedies for cold and cough for babies. Make sure to avoid any kind of suffocation.
10. Use Humidifier • Drop in humidity during the winter season, the temperature in single digits, and recirculated air can all contribute to itchy, scaly, and dry skin. It will make your baby more uncomfortable. • It is important to keep the atmosphere humid along with the other homeremedies for cold and cough for babies. To crank up the humidity inside, you can also use a humidifier at home. Thanks for watching!!