Welcome Goals and Objectives • To review end of year procedures • To share progress of redesign activities
Focus Area 1: SuccessfulTransition to High School • Teaming • Freshman Academy • Advisory • Mentoring • Other Transition Activities
Focus Area 2: Early Dropout Detection and Interventions Purpose: To identify students who exhibit characteristics of dropping out and actively work with these students to prevent them from dropping out and increase their chance of completing high school
Focus Area 3: Academic Catch-up • Implementation of new or expanded programs to provide accelerated and extended instruction for students that enter high school behind in reading and/or math, using research-based strategies and curriculum materials. • “Catch-up” programs in reading must use a curriculum from the State-approved list of reading curricula for struggling adolescent readers.
Focus 5: Remediation and Grade Recovery • Innovative, yet proven, remediation and grade recovery programs which support the on-time promotion of students to 10th grade and allow students to stay on track with their age-level peers.
Focus Area 6: Educational and Career Planning • Freshman Transition Skills Course • LA ePortal
Focus Area 7: Parental Involvement Programs and activities to increase 9th grade parental communication and involvement in ways which lead to improved student engagement and performance.
End of Year Requirements • End of Year Report • Continuation of Funding Application • Budget Revisions
Due Dates End of Year Report 4:00 p.m. Friday, June 12, 2009
1. Focus Areas Which of the following Focus Areas did your school address during 2008-09? _____ 1. Successful Transitions to High School _____ 2. Early Dropout Detection & Intervention _____ 3. Academic Catch-up _____ 4. Literacy Skills _____ 5. Remediation & Credit Recovery _____ 6. Education & Career Planning _____ 7. Parental Involvement
2. Timeline • Attach the original timeline from your approved grant application. • Attach your final timeline. • Describe each activity completed this year organized by focus area. • Similar activities can be consolidated in the description. • Include both planning and implementation activities.
Timeline (Continued) • Be sure to address each activity on the timeline: • any consultants used • the nature and scope of the services they provided • how their work helped support your 9th grade redesign efforts • all budget items should be addressed
Timeline Should Include: • any conferences attended, the individuals attending such conferences, and what was learned that was useful; • any visits made to “model” schools, the individuals participating in these visitations, and what was learned that has been beneficial to the planning or implementation of specific redesign strategies; • any curriculum materials purchased, and the student audience with which these materials are being used.
Sample Timeline * Please provide an explanation of any modifications to your original timeline.
3. LA ePortal Usage Describe: • how LA ePortal has been used with 9th grade students • the purposes for which students have used the LA ePortal • the frequency and duration of their usage • whether this usage has been voluntary or required (as part of a class, advisory program, etc.)
4. Progress toward Project Goals • 9th-10th Grade Promotion Rate • 9th Grade Dropout Rate • 9th Grade Attendance Rate • 9th Grade Students Failing One or More Core Courses • 9th Grade Students Suspended • 9th Grade Students Expelled • 9th Grade Students Scoring Basic or Above on iLEAP
5. Reflections on 2008-09 • Comment on the greatest challenges and successes of your 9th Grade Redesign Initiative in 2008-09. • Feel free to include • anecdotal information • quantitative data to supplement that included in the chart • a subjective assessment of your project and how it has impacted faculty, students, and parents.
Budget Revision Information • A revision is NOT necessary if changes are made within an object code. • The deadline for budget revisions is June 1, 2009. • http://www.louisianaschools.net/lde/finance/1001.html
Continuation Application • Check box format PLUS: • Explain how this will look at your school. • Justify budget expenditures, including professional development and travel, which support this focus area. • Timeline • Budget Due by 4:00 p.m. Friday, June 12, 2009
Webinar • For schools applying for continuation of funding: • Review of application • Review of budget guidelines • Review of new components/requirements • Contact your regional HSR Coordinator for assistance Tentative Date: Wednesday, May 27 at 10:00 am