Ulkumen RODOPLU, MD Vice President, EuSEM www.eusem.org. Policy Statement on Emergency Medicine in Europe. 1. What is Emergency Medicine? 2. What is the European Society for EM (EuSEM)? 3. What is the status of EM in Europe? 4. What are the objectives of MJC - EM and EuSEM policy?
Download Policy: Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use and may not be sold / licensed / shared on other websites without getting consent from its author.While downloading, if for some reason you are not able to download a presentation, the publisher may have deleted the file from their server.
Vice President, EuSEM
1. What is Emergency Medicine?
2. What is the European Society for EM (EuSEM)?
3. What is the status of EM in Europe?
4. What are the objectives of MJC - EM and EuSEM policy?
5. What training is required to practise EM in Europe?
6. Summary of MJC – EM and EuSEM policy
Emergency Medicine is a medical specialty based on the knowledge, skills & competencies required for the
prevention, assessment & management of the acute and
urgent aspects of illness & injury affecting patients of all
age groups with a full spectrum of undifferentiated
physical & behavioural disorders.
It is a specialty in which time is critical
It is a specialty which is hospital-based
EuSEM 2007 (adapted from IFEM 1991)
Represents the specialty of EM in Europe
• Includes Federation of 24 National EM Societies
(with affiliation of >16,000 medical members)
• Recognises EM as a primary medical specialty
• Seeks to establish similar standards of training in Emergency Medicine throughout Europe
( Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Ireland, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, UK )
( Belgium, Estonia, Latvia, Slovenia )
( Italy, Spain )
( Netherlands )
( Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Sweden )
( Austria, Cyprus, Germany, Greece, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Portugal )
A unique field of action
A defined body of knowledge
A rigorous training programme
to ensure the highest quality of emergency care for patients.
Presented for endorsement by UEMS Council
(Istanbul, October 2009)